Dave Lloyd 753 ???

painter09

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
just picked this up for the magura brakes and xt cranks, pedals, dont know anything about them as the name points mainly to road bikes, any way any info would be more than welcome. ;)
Dave Lloyed with renolds 753 all terain decals on it frame seems to be fairly light and as in the past had some brazing done on the inside of the non drive chain stay, looks like it may have had some pitting rather than a crack as its un touched on the outside. cable routing as you can see is internal wich ive not seen on the limited number of mtb frames ive managed to find on site, any way feast your eyes and take some gueses :D

Attachments

• dave lloyd all terain 009.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 009.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 874
  • dave lloyd all terain 005.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 005.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 874
  • dave lloyd all terain 012.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 012.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 874
  • dave lloyd all terain 013.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 013.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 874
  • dave lloyd all terain 006.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 006.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 874
  • dave lloyd all terain 005.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 005.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 874
  • dave lloyd all terain 003.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 003.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 874
  • dave lloyd all terain 008.JPG
    dave lloyd all terain 008.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 874
:shock: That was a lucky score then unless your comments are tongue in cheek? Was it a bargain?

raidan73":39nkt8nw said:
:shock: That was a lucky score then unless your comments are tongue in cheek? Was it a bargain?
lucky score ? bargain ? @ £70 for the crank set brakes and pedals i dont think i did to bad, :D nice frame as well but clueless as to age, make ect. must have been loved by someone to go to the trouble of brazing it at some point in its life rather than throwing it on the scrap heap.

I don't have a great knowledge of Dave Lloyd bikes on particular but a quick search on here will tell you the kind of esteem his workmanship is held in. Have a look through the British Steel thread for plenty of info. Here's a link to Wadsy's BOTM winning Beez Neez from May last year. Must be a quiet night on the forum as someone would've usually been on here by now.

viewtopic.php?t=188803&highlight=

Not easy stuff to work 753 so limited the number of builders that worked with it, by Reynolds themselves apparently. Was gone from the range in the early 90s as it couldn't be tigged only low temp silver brazed, 753 decal is 1989 or later so that gives an ideas of its age.

Carl

What you have there could well be a CATS WISKAS (Cycle All Terrain System With Integrated Suspension Keeping Alignment Static), based on the seat stays.

Take a look at the bottom bracket shell and you will find the frame number, which should start LL.

Ringo has just got his hands on a 94 model and I have just finished spending far too much money on a 92.

Take look in the British Steel thread for a lot more detail, but Dave was certificated by Reynolds to use 753, so there is every reason to think yours is an original.

Whoever sold you that for £70 did you a big favour, and as far as my limited research goes, you have a very rare frame there, which, incidentally, rides like a flat out, banzai, nutter b'stard of a bike :twisted:

Get some pictures up in the British Steel thread please, 'the boys' would love to see another discovery.

Just saw the bit about the chain stays. I have just had both stays replaced on my CATS, as they were both rusted and cracked. If you don't fancy the expense, I'm sure there are members who will quite happily donate a kidney to own that bike.

Great score :cool:

What size is the frame? Not the most beautiful of paint jobs looking at most of the Lloyds bikes but it still looks very cool.

Why can't I ever find anything like that :evil:

some fantastic replies and infomation supplied by you guys above and realy apreciated :D the british steel thread is an eye opener with some fantastic looking rides making this bike want to hide its head in shame :roll: but i do remember the story of the uggly duckling and how that ended :D :D ive just had a look at the frame and the numbers do indeed start LL :D wot a fantastic way to start the day, :D

Giom6":bsp89gsy said:
Great score :cool:

What size is the frame? Not the most beautiful of paint jobs looking at most of the Lloyds bikes but it still looks very cool.

Why can't I ever find anything like that :evil:
frame size is 17.5 ctc and 19 to seat post top. and your right about the paint job it reminds me of something that would have rolled out of halfords back in the day :facepalm:

Back