Explosif Build - Canti rear/V on the front solutions?

toaster999

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Is this a Sin? Building a frame brought from Brownpools (thx!) but using bits a pieces I already have... which includes a front Canti, but no hanger/suitable stem or headset (A-Head - not sure you can stick a canti mount in them). Would love to use canti's front and rear, but dont have a solution that doesn't involve money. I really want to make use of stuff I already have as I don't want to sell it, but can't afford to having it lie around doing nothing.

Have a V brake though :twisted:

I would go with one of the cable hanger options above.

If you go mixed Canti and V you will have to mix your brake levers as well unless you have one of the switchable levers.

I don't see why you couldn't use a canti hanger with an ahead set. Just thinking out loud, but you could drill a hole in the top of an ahead stem the diameter of outer bake cable. You could then line up and drill a smaller hole in the bottom to allow the inner cable through - voila, in-built cable hanger in a similar fashion to some o the earlier stems for canti brakes.

If you want, I have (at least I think I do) a set of m900 arms and also some earlier lx arms. Springs and backs are missing but maybe others could help make them a full set?

Refining my mod a bit, you could use a seller ferrule or one of the cable ends with the extended 'sheath' to help hold everything in line and stop the inner cable rubbing on the stem.

ishaw":1w76ze2k said:
I don't see why you couldn't use a canti hanger with an ahead set. Just thinking out loud, but you could drill a hole in the top of an ahead stem the diameter of outer bake cable. You could then line up and drill a smaller hole in the bottom to allow the inner cable through - voila, in-built cable hanger in a similar fashion to some o the earlier stems for canti brakes.

If you want, I have (at least I think I do) a set of m900 arms and also some earlier lx arms. Springs and backs are missing but maybe others could help make them a full set?

I still have a GT stem from BITD I did this self same mod on :cool:

As for the OP I can heartily recommend the Tektro power hanger from SJS, as you can see from more than one of my builds :cool:

Linky link works fine for me :? Any way a piccy is better than a link.

Oooooo purple

Attachments

• IMG_000003621.jpg
    IMG_000003621.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 555
Back