Calling all East Coast / New England Retrobikers! Help!

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My wife and I are planning a trip to New York this autumn, spending 5/6 days in Manhattan then renting a car and going travelling around New England for the remainder. I think Vermont may be a place we go but we really haven't decided yet. I know my wife likes the coast so that'll be visited too.

I need some help regarding cycling stuff.

I would like to visit a couple of shops as a bare minimum. Any on Manhattan? Also any good shops in the areas we are going to?

I would like to go on a bike ride at some point. We won't be bringing our own bike, maybe just some clothing. So we will need to rent/borrow some bikes. The main problem with this is that my wife is only 4'11" and rides a 12.5" GT and an XS Specialized Vita. Even 14" bikes can be too large. But kids bikes are too small.

Obviously any ideas on routes, places to go would be great. I have the feeling that my wife would prefer road riding but reasonably easy off road would be great if its worth it. She can ride a red route at most trail centres only getting off for the really tough bits so she can handle a bike but I'd rather not risk injury to her so far from home.

Is there any Retrobiker who can help with ANY of the above?

When we went to California we weren't able to do an off road ride in Marin county as we couldn't get a bike for my wife - then when we got back someone on here said "I wish I'd seen this thread (about our upcoming trip just like this one) - I could have lent you a little retro Cannondale for your wife to use!" So frustrating!!

If you can recommend anywhere to go outside of NY I would be very grateful too.

Thanks

Hey mate, I live in Burlington Vermont-I'd highly recommend it if you are coming north to New England. The town is full of restaurants of all different types, shops, and entertainment. There are paved bike paths along Lake Champlain (as well as many other on/off road options for any skill level) plus lots of scenery and interesting things to do. Local Motion, Ski Rack, and North Star sports (among others) rent bikes/gear and are right near the lake. Old Spokes Home has a cool collection of bikes and the upstairs is filled with used bikes for sale....I don't go there often to keep from emptying my wallet! You are also welcome to borrow my rides, but I don't have anything small enough for your wife.

I have to head out the door, but if you have questions or need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask.

I do want to go to Burlington, just because of a Blues Traveller song....

Sounds like my sort of place too.

Kind of a long drive from NYC... but Arcadia National Park in Maine is really nice for biking. There are carriage roads that the Rockefellers made that give a great view of the island. My family did it last summer. Also there are bunch of bike shops.

Midorimage":1p9kp5b8 said:
Kind of a long drive from NYC... but Arcadia National Park in Maine is really nice for biking. There are carriage roads that the Rockefellers made that give a great view of the island. My family did it last summer. Also there are bunch of bike shops.

Funny that you should mention Acadia, Maine is my home state, and I've ridden those roads with my parents many years ago. The Maine coast is highly recommended, but as you say, a bit more of a drive from NYC.

Regarding Burlington, it's worth noting that there is an Amtrak train that runs from NYC to Burlington, it's called the Vermonter. Not sure how the cost compares to renting a car, but you wouldn't have to deal with the steering wheel (and all the cars) being on the wrong side.....

I don't mind the driving - I LOVE it! Much rather do that than get a train if I'm honest.

5.5hrs drive from JFK up to Burlington. Probably a nice drive too!!

Rob Atkin":3m9icgq7 said:
I don't mind the driving - I LOVE it! Much rather do that than get a train if I'm honest.

5.5hrs drive from JFK up to Burlington. Probably a nice drive too!!

I had one of the worst driving days of my life getting off Manhattan. I got a hire car dropped off for me at the place I was working on 59th Street. The sheer tedium of getting out of NYC in rush hour almost drove me insane.

I am typing this from an airport in Japan... heading back to the States for five weeks of rest!

I am bringing my bike to Vermont from August 3rd.. Staying near Canaan in central Vermont . with the extended family. So, I am also interested in hearing about nice places to ride. Two years ago we were in Stowe VT. Didn't have a bike, but I wish that I had. There were some trails near the Trap Family Lodge (the family from the Sound of Music) that seemed nice. In Waterbury, close to Burlington.. there is Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory.. you shouldn't miss it. I also.. hear that VT has some of the best beer in America. Can't wait to try.

A few links for you to check out:
http://www.nycvelo.com/
http://www.wmbaforum.tommychurch.com/viewforum.php?f=16
http://www.nycmtb.com/?p=412

There are a few good trails in NYC and just outside; I'd recommend Sprain as it's on your way to New England, but if you don't mind a detour, to queens, there is Cunningham. Then, on the island of Manhattan, itself, there is Highbridge, though I have not been in a couple years, so I can't speak for it personally. The NYCMTB site has many updates for the local trails, including a new one in Brooklyn.

Also, might be worth your time checking out the local Craigslist for a small affordable bike you could pick up for your wife and yourself, then take it up with you to New England, and at the end of your trip sell it off quickly. Might beat renting:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/bia/

Best of luck; hope you have a great time!

Back