How do you replace cones when theyre pitted and done for?

Re: How do you replace cones when theyre pitted and done for

integerspin":1d6t8z8v said:
How did you regrind the race?
I used a surface grinder fitted with an "Optidress" to dress the correct radius onto the wheel and ran the cone (locked onto the axle) in a "Grindall". An internet photo of each is below for reference.

As nobody seems to be 100% sure I'll chop a cone in half and see if our quality guy can check the hardness across it.

I suppose the proof is in the pudding so I've ground a really rough pair on my friends bike and rebuilt it with new bearings as a test.

paddy311":1d6t8z8v said:
DON'T come crying to me when your wheels lock up when the cones turn to cheese though
Well you didn't think I'm actually going to try this on my own wheel first :p .

Attachments

• Grindall.JPG
    Grindall.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Optidress.jpg
    Optidress.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 308

poweredbypies":2p89qju9 said:
Nice work chris.
Thanks Paddy, just trying new ideas to save old parts really (and a couple of quid :D ). "Necessity is the mother of invention" they say and I have an old big flanged Shimano XT hubbed wheel with knackered cones that I really wanted to save. It's been a while since I stripped the wheel but I don't recall seeing similar cones to the ones that I pulled out of that hub.

Ping me over a piccy, got a selection of scrap wheels i can rip apart and see if theres anything similar

poweredbypies":buep6e59 said:
Ping me over a piccy, got a selection of scrap wheels i can rip apart and see if theres anything similar
Cheers mate but the wheel was temporarily reassembled and put back on the bike. It's a job on my very big "to do" list :| .

Far more impressive than what I was thinking. I had someone suggest I use my punch grinder on my surface grinder when I asked for ideas about something like this, I guess that's a punch grinder?

Any chance you could surface grind some shims for me?
I have had the engine apart for several years, it probably won't get put back together till I get a surface grinder, but I can't see enough floor in the garage for one!

I scored some new M760 cones and used them in my M900 hubs, work great.
I think the M760 cones might fit other things, they were Shimano cones and about 2 quid a piece. Those Weldtite things linked to don't look like they have any seals, or do I need stronger glasses;-)

If you chop a cone in half and polish it you should be able to see the case. If I remember I will chop one on half tomorrow.

I suppose you could call the "Grindall" a punch grinder, I work with press tools and that's exactly what we use it for.

I'll pm you a bit later about the shims.

Back