Question about the Spring Kit for Quadra 21r

andyfloyd82

Retro Guru
I have a quick question about the Rock Shox Quadra 21r spring kit produced by Kronos Engineering. I have what I believe to be a Quadra 5 and want to replace the elastomer inside to a Spring, for the increased travel and also because the elastomer is wearing out and Im getting 30mm of travel probably. I want to know if anyone here knows if the spring kit for the 21r is compatable with the Quadra 5. I figure it should be since the internals are pretty much the same, just want to make sure before I pull the trigger. Here is the spring kit im looking at on ebay.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kronos-Springs- ... 4d0c8dddda

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
they are the same prewtty much

you will however end up with a plain undamped spring which will rebound wiht pretty much as much force as it was compressed with . The boggo original elastomers had their own built in natural damping hysteresis which slowed down the return force.

if a fork does not have any oil or air damping to aid it then personally i would not replace elastomers with a spring - i sampled thsi delight on a marin FRS and it was seasaw sickness inducing and hellishly uyncontrolable.(to me anyway)

Yea I understand that it will have a quick rebound, but with only 60mm of travel it shouldnt be too much of an issue. The elastomers are just wearing out and the travel is becoming shorter and shorter. Thanks for the response.

michael franks":3ee7bibv said:
Would an elastomer in one leg and a spring in the other work?
I'm facing the same dilemma with my Quadra 21s,

Thats an interesting idea....I might try that. Seems like this would allow for the extra travel and some damping on rebound.

I'll be honest and say I don't know what the innards look like as I didn't;t take ,much notice.
But if your Quadras have 7" of room for it then you should be fine.

An alternative is to get a better fork in the long run. They're not cheap springs if you're importing to the UK.
I assume they are identical to the Judy springs you get since both used the Jaxs MCU setup

FluffyChicken":wdise8rf said:
I'll be honest and say I don't know what the innards look like as I didn't;t take ,much notice.
But if your Quadras have 7" of room for it then you should be fine.

An alternative is to get a better fork in the long run. They're not cheap springs if you're importing to the UK.
I assume they are identical to the Judy springs you get since both used the Jaxs MCU setup

I do plan to get a 80mm front fork eventually, but the bike has a tange threaded headset right now and I would rather just rebuild the Quadra until it really dies and I have to get something better. I do singletrack and XC so dont need a ton of travel. Also I live in the US so shipping shouldnt be an issue.

Hi ,

I have the same "dillema" at the moment :) How dit yours work out? Pleased with the result??

Thanks!

Back