Rehydration- What do you use?

It's not often I get out for that long to be honest, but the few times I have they have been fine

I put two in a 3l camelbak which is half the recommended dosage I think, seems to work ok. I tried one of the caffeine ones and I retched!!! It tasted like flat, watered down red bull! On longer rides my energy levels depend more on what I eat rather than drink...

The History Man":cjfdsv0h said:
I prefer real ale to rehydrate. On the ride, squash and my tears.

You will never ride with the stars drinking that, the high5 stuff seems to work ok

At what point do you really feel its needed to start loading up? Club rides and normal rides up to 40 miles I still use squash and what ever is in the cupboards hopefully fig rolls etc . Can't say when using powders/bars/gels I feel any different? :?

That's a lie actually last weekend did 50 miles Saturday and 40 miles Sunday and had loads of left over powders and gels from mayhem Tuesday I had to go to the dentist on emergency appointment :facepalm: :shock:

matthew71":23zzs22e said:
The History Man":23zzs22e said:
I prefer real ale to rehydrate. On the ride, squash and my tears.

You will never ride with the stars drinking that, the high5 stuff seems to work ok

Rode with one yesterday ;)

Might sound odd but when I used to do long distance tour de trigs type hiking it was squash and malt loaf we carried. Would still carry it for a ride.

I'm not really big into eating while riding, I do have the occasional bar, and also gels when road riding, but I am thinking more about keeping fluid levels up in hot weather.

Possibly it's my digestive system that reacts to carbs without fibre, but I know that I am not unique in this, as my son's tales of his cycling trips to the Algarve illustrate.

I'll take a look at what is in some of the typical squash drinks, as it is really the salts that need to be replenished along with the fluids, and I have never had any side effects from a glass of orange squash. :shock:

I like the odd gel during but always consume about 1ltr of electrolyte mixer powder beforehand and a couple of ltrs over the course of the day but only really it its warm and sweaty otherwise its a ltr of powder to start then plain water and in both cases a powdered recovery shake afterwards,though this can take the form of a large McD milkshake :oops:
I really hate having a sore head from not drinking enough, and this last week ive fair sweated :LOL:

I don't do the gels or carb drinks. Rightly or wrongly, I see those as the start of doping. Water during the ride, and a Picnic or Snickers, or when it's hot, something without the chocolate, like a cereal/granola bar. Squash then real ale upon completion, or a real ale on the way home then squash.

Back