1988 Yeti FRO

not easy

htube1.jpg

htube2.jpg

Odds are this frame started out as a round top tube frame, 1" headtube, simplex dropouts, no chainstay gusset and no welded on binder bolt. At some point (probably around 1993) the rear end cracked either at the chainstay or at the top of the seat tube. Yeti then replaced the rear end with the more modern type with plate drops, gusset and seat binder bolt and also replaced the headtube (maybe also cracked?) for a 1.25" or is it even 1.125??. Then someone (maybe Yeti) added a reducer shim to accomodate the 1" fork. This is not a strengthening feature but simply a crude way to run a 1" fork in an oversize headtube. The frame was painted with the dart scheme which was in full use by then and here we are.

I'm not saying this is a fact, but it just seems like the most likely explanation. We've all seen many repaired Yetis with the sleeve at the top of the seat tube like here which is a good indication of repair. Besides most racers just got new frames when they broke their current frames. All of the ex-team Yetis we've seen are either in good running order or show clear signs of damage that was never repaired and those frames were simply retired. So, I personally don't buy the ex-racer had his/her frame repaired story. Maybe someone cobbled a frame together from bits lying around, but I feel the timing of the round top tube and the modern rear end don't add up.

Either way, good luck with the build Nader. I'm sure you'll put your usual amount of effort into it!

Mr. Spwal mentioned this thread and asked me to make some remarks.

Having been the guy that welded these bikes together, I can assure you that we made frames in different configurations as required.

It could certainly be a repair or something made out of spare parts at any point in time. We did change several set of drops on frames but rarely replaced the whole back of a used frame. We also made bikes out of spares as needed for racers or VIP's.

Only the people who have owned it before know it's history and that has likely been forgotten.

ftwelder":2p78o1uw said:
Mr. Spwal mentioned this thread and asked me to make some remarks.

Having been the guy that welded these bikes together, I can assure you that we made frames in different :cool: configurations as required.

It could certainly be a repair or something made out of spare parts at any point in time. We did change several set of drops on frames but rarely replaced the whole back of a used frame. We also made bikes out of spares as needed for racers or VIP's.

Only the people who have owned it before know it's history and that has likely been forgotten.

RESPECT.... :cool:

ftwelder":3dgkdfpw said:
Having been the guy that welded these bikes together....
Hello Frank,

Great to have you here and thank you for your comments.

I know it, too little time for community but it's an honor for us if you write more and share your memories with us.

This Yeti frame is one of most beautiful frames I have seen. I will build it with passion and ride it with love.

Thanks everyone for shedding more light on the frame.

Out of personal curiosity, I have sent an email to the craigslist seller in kokopelli...an older school teacher.

It was his brother in law's bike as I have mentioned many times and he claims it was custom built for him and raced and placed high nationally.

I do not expect to hear back from him or his brother in law but I will let you know if I do.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Really looking forward to seeing your build :)

Danke

Nader":2phcqx9w said:
nevadasmith":2phcqx9w said:
Got a pic of the drop-outs?
here are some pics

Thanks for posting the extra pics Nader, really interesting mix! Mine has a new seat tube, I am sure that most of them have a story to tell, looking forward to seeing you build the next chapter for yours! Speaking of which what are your plans?

mkozaczek":auyyjkj9 said:
Either way, good luck with the build Nader. I'm sure you'll put your usual amount of effort into it!
Cheers Martin :D ...and thanks again for your advice.

Back