BoTM July '13 - Muddy Fox vs Orange vs Saracen - Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BoTM July '13 - Muddy Fox vs Orange vs Saracen - Nominat

drcarlos":15hzwel8 said:
raymondluxuryyacht":15hzwel8 said:
overdone if you chucked LX or DX on them like the Clockworks

Insults ahoy.

The Saracen tufftrax had mountain lx parts and deore dx thumbies (bar the exage brakes). Was that "overdone" ?
I've owned both a tufftrax and a clockwork. They rode really differently but both were equally well made. As far as I know both were built in the far east but designed in the UK. Have to admit I don't know which Saracen's were UK built but I think i recall a "designed in england" sticker on my tufftrax, (but can't recall if it said made in england too). The saracen cornered well, felt solid and comfortable. The clockwork was a bit better up hill and felt a bit more agile, but also had a springiness to it that was a bit marmite (I liked it). Muddy Fox seem to me to be forgettable by early to mid 90s for some reason. The early couriers and explorers were pretty inspiring, but then they went all neon paint jobs and enormously long stems (no offence meant, just not my cup of tea). I'm sure some people loved them but I was put off them by that stage as they looked like they would ride twitchy off road and be betters suited to cycle couriers in London. Have to admit I kind of like Dr Carlos courier though....its got mountain lx and its not neon!

Some great bikes on here and surprised to see so many saracens...including some particularly cool ones.

Its going to be a difficult choice this month.

:roll: :facepalm: you need to re-read what I wrote. Theres no insult there, it was suggesting that a MF infinity frame could have lx or DX hung on it and not look overdone just like a clockwork.

Carl

Oh I see.
I think your statement is ambiguous, but I see what you meant now. One of those sentences where depending where you put the emphasis can be read differently.

So difficult to choose but the Trekker and KiliWot are floating my boat. Would like to see more MFs though.

raymondluxuryyacht":twh2bscf said:
Have to admit I kind of like Dr Carlos courier though....its got mountain lx and its not neon!

Got to love a bit of Black and red crackle. :cool:

Loving the double-U Saracen & the Clockwork.

raymondluxuryyacht":kojnx0ng said:
Oh I see.
I think your statement is ambiguous, but I see what you meant now. One of those sentences where depending where you put the emphasis can be read differently.

So difficult to choose but the Trekker and KiliWot are floating my boat. Would like to see more MFs though.

I suppose it could be taken that way, I never thought it would though as I was comparing Orange with Muddyfox and I wouldn't insult something that I own two examples of.

I'm right with you on the Trekker, I don't normally go with the popular choice on anything (but this seems to be quite popular) but it's one of those bikes that just looks right in a chunky, purposeful and understated way.

Carl.

GoldenEraMTB":1860fjas said:
Gravy Monster":1860fjas said:
Well I suppose I had to do it sometime :oops:

Gravy Monster's 1989 Saracen Trekker Competition UU

More detailed pictures HERE

Bike's thread HERE

null_zps737dfb60.jpg

null_zpsf02c5dca.jpg

So far, this is where I'll be checking the box; can't go wrong with a blacked out 80's MTB :cool:

Agreed, I sold these new Bitd, well built, well spec'd very Robust yet lightweight and reliable. And when so much was coming in from the far east, it was nice to have such a cool bike handbuilt domestically too.

Proper Cool IMHO. (and the condition of this one is exceptional).

stocko":1o46x1sy said:
Well here we go again,hopefully do better in a theme month...

Stocko's 1993 Orange Clockwork

http://
Build thread here-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=229428

EXCELLENT. Iconic colours, and once regarded as the most seen bike on the UK race scene.

The Orange Clockwork, the choice of many a privateer racer BITD.

Great build, spot on colours finished off nicely with a pace fork too.

Has a Clockwork EVER won BOTM....? some tough choices this month, but perhaps its time. :cool:

If that turns out to be the top three I should go out and buy a lottery ticket if I were you! :LOL:

We_are_Stevo":3ekopefo said:
If that turns out to be the top three I should go out and buy a lottery ticket if I were you! :LOL:

Just saying it as I see it mate, a lot of effort went into your build especially, why couldn't it be in the top three. Its Not always about the rarest, or the most expensive build surely, Effort, memories etc all play a part im sure.

A Good Job Well done.

:cool:

drcarlos":3bl2zeo2 said:
I'm right with you on the Trekker, I don't normally go with the popular choice on anything (but this seems to be quite popular) but it's one of those bikes that just looks right in a chunky, purposeful and understated way.

Carl.
Agreed. I NEVER thought I'd be voting for a Saracen as they've never really done much for me - but something about that Trekker just looks SO right.

The Orange Formula is a cracking bike, but for me the frame is too big - & aesthetically for me the smaller the frame the better - optimum size for aesthetics is a 16" IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back