Judy XC rebuild help

So here they be...

xu4n.jpg

The elastomers are definitely no good. The damper on the LH leg seems to be ok, needs pressure applied to push in and pull out, but the other side slides in and out when you tip the fork upside down then right it again. The stanchions look fine and cosmetically they are pretty good all round.

Like I said before, I would rather get the satisfaction of rebuilding them but not if it's going to cost me more money than an equivalent or better set of forks in working order. I haven't read through the rebuild guide yet but I'm sure it probably answers all questions over it's 6 pages.

I have bought the one that Steve refurbished. He did a very decent job the fork is like new! It is on my Zaskar and that is my main retro bike :)

Good look

I rebuilt many of them.
The side that slides on out is a dummy leg, so it should do that.
Basically check the stanchions are good. So separate them from the lowers.

They are easy forks to work on, but very easy to damage the bushings and station by not keeping them serviced. Especially in rainy weather. Water sat in them kills them.

Don't buy elastomers, these use MCU's and elastomers are a step back. The way they collapse on themselves is different. Springs would be an upgrade. They had moved across to them 2/3 Years later

FluffyChicken":momaxbai said:
I rebuilt many of them.
The side that slides on out is a dummy leg, so it should do that.
Basically check the stanchions are good. So separate them from the lowers.

They are easy forks to work on, but very easy to damage the bushings and station by not keeping them serviced. Especially in rainy weather. Water sat in them kills them.

Don't buy elastomers, these use MCU's and elastomers are a step back. The way they collapse on themselves is different. Springs would be an upgrade. They had moved across to them 2/3 Years later

I've separated the stanchions and they look absolutely fine. The LH damper does have a bit of squelching going on when it is pushed in and pulled out. I've managed to get all the old bits or MCU out of the legs and all I can see by shining a light down now is a white/cream coloured plastic disc with a hole in the middle, one on each side. I've not removed the dampers yet as I've run out of daylight.

That'll be air in the carts, you can refill them. Can be fidly but OK really. It'll either be the original, tendency to leak instantly and recalled damper, or a newer one.
If it's just a little bit then run as is till next service if you want and you've decided to keep them.
The white bits are the plate the spring setup sits on and the top of the damper/dummy.

I know GT Steve has a full refurb thread but I'm finding it helpful to continue with this so hopefully people won't mind indulging me?

I removed both the circlips from the bottom of the legs. The damper on one side came out easily, no oil came running out and when I push it in and pull it there's no obvious sign of a leak. The other side seems to be stuck. Any tips?

The stanchions seem in great shape so it seems worthwhile to continue, at least for now. I have seen the Kronos springs on ebay so I guess I'll be needing some of those?

f6l3.jpg

What you have out IS the damper cartridge; there is a dummy leg in the other side. Find a bit of wood that fits inside the top o fthe leg, and give it a tap with a hammer, it should pop the dummy leg out no problem, not that you need to.

Those stanchions look great, so it all looks good for you! I'll recommend the Kronos springs. I had them in some Judy DHs, and I had the soft ones, I weigh a bit over 10 Stone, and they were great for me.

Back