Saving a Kona from the scrap heap!

Spanky22b

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Splatter paint purists beware this might not be easy viewing what i'm about to do :D
I wouldn't normally do this to a splatter paint kona but the state the paint works in and the amount of rust,it needs to be stripped and brought back to life but as something a bit different. My plan you wonder,i'm going to turn it from a worn out Cindercone into the Lavadome Kona didn't make :shock: Yes i'm going to make the orange Lavadome what's in the 1990 catalogue,something i've always wanted to do for a while now. There'll be a twist at the end of the build because i don't intend on keeping it,i just want to build one. So someone on here will be able to buy it (definitely won't be sold on eBay) first come first served as they say,let the build begin :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 898
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 898
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 897
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 897
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 897
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 897
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 898
coomber":3i4obqqs said:
That rust is bad

The whole frame is rust lol

I got it off eBay about a month or so ago coz it still had the velocity stem i need for my 1990 Explosif. I've been thinking how to bring it back life again so going to do this,that's if it doesn't fall to bits when the paints stripped off :LOL:

Spanky22b":3jrkr1up said:
going to make the orange Lavadome what's in the 1990 catalogue :D

These are great frames that ride well , I have had both & the 1990 Lavadome is red ;)

Look forward to seeing it progress, nowt wrong with a bit o rust either :LOL:

Gravy Monster":3oef1d8q said:
Spanky22b":3oef1d8q said:
going to make the orange Lavadome what's in the 1990 catalogue :D

These are great frames that ride well , I have had both & the 1990 Lavadome is red ;)

Look forward to seeing it progress, nowt wrong with a bit o rust either :LOL:

I've owned a red one and the yellow splatter version of the Lavadome,rode really well i've never rode a 90 Cindercone though but heard good things about them.

I got a message back from Gil m and he said to email the pictures of the bike in the catalogue,he should be able match the different coloured stickers the orange one has compared to the ones they used in production :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 724
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 724
That rust looks bad from the photos but my Cinder Cone (with admittedly not as much rust...) cleaned up really well. You might be pleasantly surprised at how smart it looks after a few hours' effort.

Then again, if you've set your heart on orange - just blast it...

Agreed a quick go at the rust will make a massive difference. Would be surprised if it was terminal.

I'm going to give it a clean over the weekend and see what it looks like but the next hard bit is to get the chainset off all the threads are completely stripped :( I'm tempted just to get the cutting grinder on it at work and chop them off coz the chainset is knackered and the pedals are seized solid aswell

Back