Advice please... devastated!!!!

reconminicon

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After owning these hubs for 18yr I (got the local shop) rebuilt them with new rims and spokes. The rear hub needed new pawls but the front was still silky smooth. My third ride out, the first two been on flat tracks, I went down a few steps and this happened. I am still raging not sure weather to go back to the shop. The spokes were very tight but I think I will be fighting a loosing battle. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1373894313_tmp_20130713_154552.jpg
    1373894313_tmp_20130713_154552.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,047
Re: Have a look at this... devastated!!!!

I am looking at this Pace hub from a fellow Retrower. Im wondering if the flange is about the same size so I could build it with the same spokes. Or should I just find another red Hope.

:cry:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,040

Chances are it was going to go, the cracks were probably already present, the newly tightened spokes were the straw that broke the camels back. Thus cant see it being the wheel builders fault, 18 years is a good innings for a well used component subject to the riguers of off road riding.
Alas poo happens :|

As for swapping to the pace hub, it'll only work with the existing spokes if the flanges and width from the centre line are very similar. Better bets to find another hope hub of the same type, someone on here will have one ;)

Unfortunately Hope hubs go twang. My rear went after ten years with the front not long after.

I would put it down to bad luck I'm afraid. As for the Pace hub your best bet is to ask the seller to measure it for you and see how it compares to your Hope hub.

As I don't know the exact models involved here I can't say for sure but I'd estimate (using a couple of online spoke calculators) that you'll be short by about 5mm on there (assuming both are 3-cross) - a small difference in diameter on the hub flange can make a lot of difference to the spoke length.

http://leonard.io/edd/ <-- not used this one much myself
http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator/ <--doesn't list Pace hubs but is the one I used to build up my wheels recently.

I have a red hope hub you can have for a few quid - the only problem is that it's one of the funny short centered ones with an extended axel designed for early hope disc conversions so I suspect the spoke length is different and you'd need a spacer for it.

Back