BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
I have some Judy XC forks which are in need of refurbing but to be honest I don't really know where to start. I tried to fight the future back in the day and kept riding rigid until my self imposed exile from the world of cycling. That's one of the reasons why I joined the forum; to catch up where I left off. I didn't like all the new fat, square sectioned bent tubes. The world (of cycling) went and got itself in a big damn hurry [name that quote!].

Anyway the forks are cosmetically good. The elastomers have a crumbly mature cheddar like quality about them so I reckon they're done for!

Are they worth rebuilding? Are parts still available? What else do I need to check? Am I better scouring the FS section for a pair in decent working order (not really my preferred option unless specific tools or parts mean that it is a cheaper option - I'd rather give it a go myself)?

Any help or a pointer in the right direction appreciated :D

If you decide not to rebuild them, please contact me. I might be interested in the parts. Much as you are doing now, I likewise rebuilt mine. Parts are precious hard to come by! It may take you parts from 2 or 3 forks to get one suitably rebuilt. Good luck.

If the stanchions and damper are good, get some springs (I used Kronos off ebay) they're really not bad forks unless you're planning on racing or riding hard.

Koupe":1usc11em said:
Nothing to add re. forks, but Shawshank Redemption (you did ask!)

:D

paddlingpool":2h9352gj said:
A good place to start is to have a look here:-

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53227

There are a couple of links in there from memory. :)

Thanks, found 2 or 3 articles so will have a read through before the next round of stupid questions :oops:

gdb2b":14goc91k said:
If you decide not to rebuild them, please contact me. I might be interested in the parts. Much as you are doing now, I likewise rebuilt mine. Parts are precious hard to come by! It may take you parts from 2 or 3 forks to get one suitably rebuilt. Good luck.

I'll keep you posted ;)

A couple of other comments should you go forward in rebuilding them:
Springs. Somebody already mentioned Kronos. Pay attention to the color coding / rated weight rage for your weight.
RS decals. Contact Gil herein. He did a nice job on mine. He may even have templates for you.
Elastomers. Some aftermarket stuff is available, depending on your particular fork model. Recommend switching to springs.
Damper cartridge. Pricey replacements are available from Risse.
Repainting. If you are picky, do your own homework about priming and repainting magnesium.
Religion. Views abound regarding whether RS forks are even worth rebuilding. I am unqualified to offer an opinion here. Haven't rebuilt anything but RS units yet. However you will spend some coin to get a " like new" rebuilt fork. Decals, parts, and professional repainting will cost you..

Good luck. If you decide not to, please let me know. I use the parts to keep my rides operable. I take good TLC and give them a decent 2nd life.

Back