1x9. What size chainring?

*Holy thread revival Batman!*

I'm running 11-32 on the back. I originally ran the 32 on the front but anything more downhill that 'absolutely' level led to mad spinning out. I bought a 34 and it was a bit better but I still find myself on the 11 at the back most of the time (road training). I'm now sorely tempted by a 38 :? .

Assuming road? 36 at least. Imagine, 34 would be like a compact crank in the small ring. Been running an 1x10 with 38 front for some time, and was mostly in the 13 and 15 in the back. Was a winter training bike though (CX tyres), so I did mostly faster shorter rides. Even with a 38 you'll spin out quickly on the downhill.

Right, bought a 38 tooth - it's a Renthal and the quality is amazing. Did my local 15 mile road ride on Sunday and this is perfect for road training with non-knobblies :). You can still spin out downhill very easily but at least your going really fast. Means I'm not sitting on the bottom 2 cogs most of the time wearing them out as well.

renthal_ring.png

44T on the front and 25-12 on the back, 2.2 Conti RaceKings for commuting and towpath duties :)

Latest posts

Back