Why so much crossover eg 53/42?

Hamster, I don't know where you got that, but I certainly never heard anything like it in the 50's and 60's. I rode a stage race in 1956 with 3 chainrings and a 6 speed block. Try and find a movie of Rene Vietto, who charmed the french with his 120 RPM climbing pre war and early post war, pity his career was spoilt.

If I had a 28t chainring I would have stripped the threads.
Keith.

Back in the 70's we certainly said "Driest is fastest" and only rarely drank while racing.........as for gears we had two broad camps, the "pushers" and the "twiddlers". With standard 52/42 and 14-21 at the back the majority were pushers :) We "twiddled" our fixed bikes for training.

Looking at riders today they do seem to have a higher cadence than we would consider "normal" back in the 70's. I guess the "twiddlers" have won out :)

Shaun

keithglos":gos77xkk said:
Hamster, I don't know where you got that, but I certainly never heard anything like it in the 50's and 60's. I rode a stage race in 1956 with 3 chainrings and a 6 speed block. Try and find a movie of Rene Vietto, who charmed the french with his 120 RPM climbing pre war and early post war, pity his career was spoilt.

If I had a 28t chainring I would have stripped the threads.
Keith.

It was in a book about Tom Simpson's death about 'water made you weak' - I can't offhand find the reference.

The 28T was on those small-pcd cranks like Stronglight 49D - but touring only, as I said! Interesting to hear you rode a triple then though.

There were no 6 speeds then, I had a Simplex 5 and found a loose 13 -15 regina pair to replace the simplex high gear. Not quite the same thread.

Evolution and development of sports science.

I find the 42x24 hard work on hills I'd "fly" up on my modern carbon bike with a 34x27

I agree with the idea that only racers cycled. Well mostly.
I bought my first TT wheels at the age of 18. Straight through 13-17 block on 42/52. Was regarded as the norm, not just for flat events. We also pedalled slower although maybe using those wheels with a loaded saddle bag to ride from the Forest of Dean to Poole was pushing things. (I didn't push though)
Finally I am sure that were didn't spin in those days. We twiddled!

i wonder what gears chris frome used on mont vetoux the other day, his leg speed on the attack is amazing !
He manages to stay seated and just accepts the pain! can't wait to see how he performs today @ alpe duez x2

Having watched Chris Froome about 9 nines on the final ascent i think that his gearing merely helped his completely fantastic ride. Brailsford's 1% advantage idea is fine but 1% to Chris Froome in that condition would mean nothing - he just rode away - incredible!!!

I would be interested in a comparison between Mr Froome and Sir Bradley.

Richard

I experienced my first compact when I hired a bike in Cornwall and refused to use the 36 inner ring. Staying on the 50 nearly killed me, but 36 is for touring with panniers, not road bike!

Back