motor bike licences: what do I need for an old 175?

Harryburgundy":35qzhtw2 said:
The History Man":35qzhtw2 said:
Not an 250 RDLC with a sidewinder then? :LOL:

Wow...,I had forgotten about those! I borrowed my mates RD250LC to take the test, but mainly practiced on my bro's Bonneville (as he was prone to leave it in the garage with the key in when he went to work)

It really is a complete kerfuffle trying to get a license nowadays and yet as already mentioned, if you can afford it, you can drive any car.

Passport to the world after an AP50!

When did that all change again? Although thinking about it, its been a few years now since I passed my test but I thought they were just making the test harder rather than changing the classifications.

If they're trying to make motorcycling safer by all these tests why have they effectively made anything over 125cc and under 395cc pointless. If you need at least 395cc to pass A2 test then you've pretty much made any bike under that capacity worthless in the marketplace and ecouraged everyone onto faster more powerful bikes ???????????

When I was living in north London my flat mate and I had 5 bikes all 125 and under for flying around on, cb 100 and 125' Rxs 100, a c90 and anotheri can't remember. This was in the days of the Norwich union rider policy where you could get on anything. Didn't need anything bigger until I moved out to the sticks.

Had it from new on a 86 D plate. Me and my girlfriend had one each with consecutive plates. Great for traffic/London.

velomaniac":3hky8lv9 said:
If they're trying to make motorcycling safer by all these tests why have they effectively made anything over 125cc and under 395cc pointless. If you need at least 395cc to pass A2 test then you've pretty much made any bike under that capacity worthless in the marketplace and ecouraged everyone onto faster more powerful bikes ???????????

To me there should be a market for 125cc-395cc for commuting. If you live 200 odd miles away from work you don't really need anything massive but a 125cc is probably a bit underpowered if you're on A roads. But as you say with the current licencing it makes absolutely no sense build anything like that for the UK market. But then I'm a scooterist not a biker so I swap the style of my Lambretta for a horrible plastic Piaggio Xevo for commuting.

I'm a maxi scooterist and I've clocked many a super reliable mile on my Yamaha 250 Majesty. Unfortunately it now needs new fork seals and new rear shocks to pass next MOT but I'll scrape cash together eventually.

Just get some 125 stickers !...........a lot of kids ride Aprillia rs 125cc at full 33 bhp power and never seen to get checked ...........bar that, Yam TDR 125 if you can find one or a older Aprillia pegasso trail 125........if you want a four stroke honda xl 125, bit slow but good and reliable and actually can go off road. road style, yam rd 80/125 lc are fun :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZpdWwMxJz0

Back