motor bike licences: what do I need for an old 175?

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I've been toying with the idea of getting an old DT175 to piss around on and commute with in Summer.

But looking at the recent licence requirements is too baffling, so I thought I'd tap the knowledge here instead.

I've got a full car licence and want to ride relatively powerless old bikes that are nonetheless >125cc.

Do I have to do a Direct Access test on a 600cc bike and get a full bike licence to do so?

Also: what other dual purpose monoshock bikes should I consider (70's 80's 90's)? It was the DTs that stuck in my mind.

cheers

You don't have to do the direct access. Take your test on a 125cc and you'll get an A1 licence that restricts you to riding anything up to 33BHP for two years and no restrictions once the two years have passed.

Can not help you with the license stuff, passed my full license on my 17th birthday (a few years ago) and it has all changed a bit now :LOL:

I had a DT175MX for a while and it was fun (except for the shitty brakes!)..why particularly monoshocks? PE175 would be nice

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
What Kerplunk says sounds your best bet. I'm one of the passed my test before all this new nonsense that strangely has no comparison in the world of cars, anti biker policy ???? Never owned anything with as much power as 33bhp so I've artificially limited myself my entire biking career :LOL:

Thanks chaps - sounds like the A1 route what I need.

I was thinking early monoshock as that's what I remember being about BITD. But some of those old piggyback trialies are sweet too. That Bultaco is especially ace.

Presumably if I stick to 125 I can ride on L plates after a CBT course? And who would verify if an old bike is 11kw or not?

Questions questions. I'll put on a Skids album and do some research .....

Blast. Looks like A1 won't do it after all: seems it's restricted to 11kw and 125cc.
Check out the gobbledeegook from the govuk site below.

A2 needs a bike of at least 395cc; Full = 595cc and >40kw.

Sounds like the best option is to to a direct access test on a big, hired bike; but to practice I'd have to buy a <11kw 125 then sell it to buy a 175.

What a faffage. Guess that is the point.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists- ... quirements

2. Motorcycle licence requirements
If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you MUST satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. You can then ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with a power output not exceeding 11 kW on the public road, with L plates (in Wales either D plates, L plates or both can be used), for up to two years. Under direct access you can practise on a motorcycle that exceeds 125 cc provided that:

you meet the minimum age for the category concerned
you’re accompanied at all times by a qualified approved trainer, who is on another motorcycle and in radio contact with you
fluorescent or reflective safety clothing is worn during supervision
red L plates (D plates in Wales) are fitted and provisional licence restrictions followed.
To obtain your full motorcycle licence you MUST pass a motorcycle theory test and then a practical test.
Law MV(DL)R regs 16 & 68

A1 motorcycle licence: At age 17 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of between 120 and 125 cc. If you pass you may ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with power output up to 11 kW, or a motor tricycle with power not exceeding 15 kW.

A2 motorcycle licence: At age 19 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of at least 395 cc with a power output of at least 25 kW but not exceeding 35 kW. If you pass, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 35 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg.

Full A motorcycle licence: Test taken on a motorcycle without sidecar, of at least 595 cc and an engine power of at least 40 kW. This gives you full access to all motorcycles and motor tricycles. You obtain a category A licence by taking progressive access from age 21, or under the direct access scheme from age 24.

Category A under progressive access: You can take a category A practical test at age 21 if you already have an A2 licence that you’ve held for a minimum of two years. You don’t need to take another theory test or hold a CBT certificate.

Category A under direct access: This is for riders aged 24 or over. To obtain a category A licence you must

successfully complete a CBT course
pass the motorcycle theory test
pass the practical motorcycle test.
Passing the practical test on a motorcycle of at least 40 kW (53.6bhp) gives immediate access to all sizes of motorcycle.

The History Man":3cpmh89l said:
Not an 250 RDLC with a sidewinder then? :LOL:

Wow...,I had forgotten about those! I borrowed my mates RD250LC to take the test, but mainly practiced on my bro's Bonneville (as he was prone to leave it in the garage with the key in when he went to work)

It really is a complete kerfuffle trying to get a license nowadays and yet as already mentioned, if you can afford it, you can drive any car.

Back