Dave Lloyd CATS.........

Good on you Neil. Glad its turned out to be a real blast :D and thanks for the ride summary, its good to know the differences between the bikes and the makers...

A certain person will be a little jealous that you've got it up and running though... ;)

I'm going to take the DOGS around my test route in a day or so, as I have ridden four different bikes since my last time out on it around Ashton Court and Leigh Woods with Kt, Chrissy and THM, so I really should remind myself as to how it rides.

At present, in my mind, the DOGS is sure footed, solid, reliable and an all round performer which allows you to ride, rather than having to worry about keeping control at all times.

The Fuquay and Ringo's CATS are almost identical in being nimble, quick and a little aggressive, and my CATS is just light and fast.

At this point I run out of superlatives, so it's enough to say they are all bl**dy nice bikes.

Who were the three guys? Chas and Dave and............

Will be keeping an eye out.

:facepalm:

We have been over this, albeit at pretty high speed.

Names to watch out for: Chas Roberts - DOGS BOLX, White Spider, Genesis plus many others, Dave Yates - DONKIS NOB and Diablo, Dave Lloyd - BEEZ NEEZ and CATS WISKAS.

There are many many... many others, and you really need to trawl through the British Steel thread where you will also find Bromwich, Winter, Orbit, Lee Cooper, Zinn, Overbury's... the list is almost endless and very much depends on what is available, rather than what you are actually looking for.

Easiest to come by I would say are frames like the DOGS or Diablo (spelt Diabolo on the frame stickers), all the others pop up from time to time.

UPDATE.

Well, more of a ride report really.

After the recently helping THM with the 3 hour Overbury's build, he and I went to try out his new steed in my local woods. My choice of bike to accompany was the CATS. I had such a blast, I decided a repeat performance was needed ASAP. This afternoon I got the chance, starting out on road to the woods, I chose to go up the longest steepest rocky climb into the woods, which turned out to be a bit of a sweaty affair, but a lot easier than I thought, mainly because the CATS feels so light and steers so accurately and easily that I was able to zig zag around some of the worst rocks and bumps and just 'keep pedalling'.

Once in the woods I just hacked around looking for ever more rocky rooty technical singletrack to test myself on, and there is plenty of it. After that I tackled a couple more short sharp climbs and then decided to go down the long rocky climb I usually come up. :shock:

Now the last time I rode this in the bone dry on a fully rigid bike, I was on the Diabolo, and ended up going so fast and being shaken about so much, I could no longer see straight, which was an absolute hoot, but maybe not the safest way to ride. The CATS took the rocky path in its stride; true, my arms were pretty pumped by the time I got to the gravel path, but I was still fully in control and able to feather the brakes with ease (just as well, as the disc are bedding in).

The gravle path was mega fast and I really appreciate just how precisely the CATS steers and how sure footed it is; it just gives you total confidence.

Last it was the hilly slog home, most of which was into a thoroughly belligerent headwind. :evil:

I continue to be blown away by the performance of this bike, which makes it all the more tragic that more were not produced.

As I have said before, if you see a CATS WISKAS up for sale (or any DL for that matter) BUY IT!

Could you do me a favour please, have been asked by a local fella about the exact same fork you are using for his build. Im at a loss how to advise without having them in hand.

Could you take a picture of them on full lock for me, so I can see the clearance of the fork against the frame...? It looks to have enough, but I need to be sure.

Cheers Neil.

There's plenty of room for both cables and also to miss the frame in the event of an off.

I like the fact that there is a certain amount of give in them, so although they are nice and rigid, you don't take the hit like you do on some steel forks.

DSC_0001_zps49dcca41.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsfcd9ebd0.jpg

NeilM":j6t4slvz said:
There's plenty of room for both cables and also to miss the frame in the event of an off.

I like the fact that there is a certain amount of give in them, so although they are nice and rigid, you don't take the hit like you do on some steel forks.

DSC_0001_zps49dcca41.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsfcd9ebd0.jpg

That's perfect Neil, thank you, I thought as much, but wanted to be sure, he has a pretty well kept frame, all be it without the disc mount as is attempting a similar approach, Sadly I have no experience with the fork, and wanted to advise accordingly.

Perfect thank you...... :cool:

Are you happy with the way they are put together also...? Pickings are certainly slim, when it comes to options that's all....?

They're a good fork Carl; we have a spare set that my son had fitted to his Felt before he put suspension on it, and that has had some hard use without giving the slightest problem.

I have found that the little bit of flex there is in them just takes the sting out of the trail and they are certainly more comfortable in use than standard Project 2 and other cro mo steel forks. They are also very well finished, and light.

When I told Mark at Argos what I was going to use on the Lloyd, he was more than happy, which given his reluctance to even build me a disc fork, has to say something.

There is no noticeable twisting under even heavy braking, and they track very well, staying exactly where you point them.

As you say, the choices, especially at 390 A to C are very limited, unless you have the time to search out a pair of older high quality forks.

I would happily fit another set to any of my other bikes.

Neil

been meaning to ask for a while your signature Battoowoo Greekgreek

is that a ref from Tim Krabbe's " The Rider "

Getting back to reality your build came out great and glad it handles every bit as it looks.

regards

Nick

Latest posts

Back