1999 Kona Cindercone - Resto thread

iand_01

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

I have recently decided to return my 1999 Kona Cindercone to its former glory.....and add some upgrades along the way!

Job to do

1. Replace rusty front wheel
2. Degrease and service all components
3. Obtain and install new grips
4. Fit remote fork locking control to handlebars
5. New tubes and tyres
6. Chop off all old fittings (bike locks, lights etc) bolts are rusty - hacksaw required!

Considerations

1. Upgrade V brakes to hydraulic or disc (ADVICE REQUIRED.....)
2. Respray???
3. Replace decals??

So that's about it, i have owned the bike from new but in the last few years it has been left out in the elements, exposed to sea air and prying eyes..... I think it is in fantastic condition considering its recent history.

I serviced the bike, replaced all the cables, tried to clean the rust of the rear wheel but it disintegrated in my hand, replaced the after market front forks (manitou Z1 sx) with a great set of Rock Shox Reba sourced from eBay and replaced the weld repaired seat post.

I would like to thank the guy on the commuter bike (Aberdeen Wednesday 12th June 2013) who, at a set of traffic lights snorted and laughed out loud at my bike, for kicking my ass in to gear to finally restore my bike...... and apologise to him for completely smoking him off the lights and leaving him in a ploom of old school Kona dust, grease and loose components :D

Advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated, hopefully pics to follow.

Cheers,

Ian

The 1999 Cindercone is a cracking bike mate, so it's a decent canvas for an upgrade. here are my views on your considerations:

1. I'm assuming there isn't a rear disc mount, so you'd either have to fit some disc adapter device or go with a disc at the front and not the back (which in my opinion always looks a bit cack). If I was you I'd look out for a good set of Maguras, amazing stopping power, and will fit on your bike as is.

2 and 3. I'm a glutton for a bike in original paint, so I'd keep it as it is. I think the chips, marks and scratches add to the character of the bike, plus it'll retain a better resale value with original paint, because people will know what it is.

Cheers Mark,

Great advice, there is no rear disc mount at the moment and i didn't really fancy mixing component types, excellent to have a brake upgrade suggestion for the current format. I will look into Maguras....eBay!!

I agree completely about retaining the current looks, i enjoy cycling the bike, getting looks of admiration from knowing people and laughed at by people who would rather be cycling around on a brand new £75 Trax from Tesco lol :)

Cheers,

Ian

A few novice pics....more to follow.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_01951.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

new forks fitted :D

Back