Would you charge your working child board and lodgings?

RobMac":bv932bi0 said:
Neil":bv932bi0 said:
I started giving my mum money when I was working part time, whilst at sixth form - obviously that ebbed and flowed, because there would be periods when I didn't work (it was seasonal). As soon as I started working full time (at 1:cool: I paid the going rate for board. At 20 I moved out to buy my own house.

My parents didn't demand it, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Respect to you sir :shock:

In complete fairness, when I started paying money when I was working part time, I'd have probably not thought to off my own back - my dad suggested it - but merely that suggested that whilst I was earning, I start giving my mum some.

When I started a full-time job, though, at 18, clearly it was the right thing to do, and nobody needed to drop any hints. Thing is, though, my parents were fairly laid back about it - I don't recall having rows about money - and that's not because I earned a lot - I didn't - nor is it because they were well off - they weren't.

As others have said, it was encouragement, from an early age, that there's an overhead to provide somewhere to live. Probably accounts for why I was paying into a pension scheme from the age of 18, too - and again, that's not 'cos I earned a lot, I didn't.

i believe in fixies":vxdwv6wl said:
My friends charge their daughter rent but, unbeknownst to her, they save it all in a specific savings account for her and when it's time for her to move out they are planning to give it all back to her to put down as a deposit on a place of her own.

That is an act of genius.

Harryburgundy":1d7okxo9 said:
BertR00t":1d7okxo9 said:
I would but they are 4 and 8 and I don't want paying in Moshi Monsters.

:LOL:

Pure win!

18 plus - got a job then you can contribute.

An amount even token helps out and prpeares you for the world and paying your way. A friend ages ago had the major hump with his mum for asking for £50 a week >_>

Alison; your lad is already having money for his quarters docked from his pay, he is also expected to learn how to handle his money and learn to save. It is actually quite strict and will set him up in good stead for the future.

Levying your own board will be a just and fair continuation of that learning experience :cool:

A lot of parents subscribe to the idea of saving the cash and surprising their offspring with the results when they need it most...

My parents supported me until I was 24 or so, at the time I thought it was great but now I wish they had pushed me a bit more. I did end up getting a degree and have been quite successful in my career, still I think I would have gone farther if I had learned the value of a dollar early.

Steven

Proper job, proper(ish) responsibilities. A good lesson for later. Mind you, I still run all our phones on my account. :facepalm:

I started paying my parents at 18 when I started earning money, steadily increasing amounts as I used to make the mistake of telling them when I got a payrise :facepalm:

Going back, my and my wife's family both have a long tradition of helping their offspring buy their homes. Once you are old enough to work part time you are old enough to contribute, and you can expect to get help when you need it.

I don't agree with paying pocket money for nothing, and letting kids work and keep it all for themselves.

Whether it is in work in the home or out-with, everyone should throw in as much as they can.

I think it depends on how many weeks a year he's at home?

If one of ours gets called up (we have lottery-bases conscription in Denmark) I'd not be charging them to be at home a couple of months a year, even if it was a month at a time.

To be honest I was just curious, I don't think I'll be charging any of my children to stay here, whether they are hear a few months a year or are permanent residence, they are my children and I put them here it is my job to see them through it, not to say now you've got to pay me back, for all my effort, that was my choice and a choice I was very pleased to make. I was never charged, my siblings were not charged but we all now live full independent lives. My thinking is if I wanted payment I'd have had lodgers not children.

Alison

Back