1994 Lotus Monocoque; Meets it's maker.

Re: 1994 Lotus Monocoque *First ride; Pg 3*

NeilM":3jz9tfbt said:
I have to say I am not a fan of the Lotus, it just never appealed to me, but I take my cycle helmet off to anyone who finds their unicorn and then rides it.

Fair play! And I hope you have a great time with your Lotus.

Thanks Bud.

I understand completely; nothing Irks me more than bikes that don't get ridden. I don't see the point of them otherwise.

I have 3 retro carbon frames now, and they all (once the third is built!) get ridden. If I had doubts, I'd hang them on the wall and admire them, but until then, they'll be in regular use.

Update; Rear brake needs bleeding, and the XT headset won't stay done up... I'm suspecting the threaded alloy steerer isn't helping matters here...

:cool: very nice job overall, glad to see it's getting ridden aswel :D

Rampage":1zvnm114 said:
Alloy threaded steerer?
Is it a 1.1/8" with a 22.2mm quill?

Bang on.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=260456

I'll try some threadlock, but if I'm honest, it's not the greatest solution. As you tighten the locknuts together, I think the alloy thread deforms slightly. :facepalm:

yeah, isle of wight on the 28th ;) 10am ferry from lymington!

jonnyboy666":24vq78rp said:
yeah, isle of wight on the 28th ;) 10am ferry from lymington!

Argh! I should have been working, but have blagged it off for an event in wales. :(

My_Teenage_Self":23ezlk9l said:
Rampage":23ezlk9l said:
Alloy threaded steerer?
Is it a 1.1/8" with a 22.2mm quill?

Bang on.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=260456

I'll try some threadlock, but if I'm honest, it's not the greatest solution. As you tighten the locknuts together, I think the alloy thread deforms slightly. :facepalm:

Interesting, this is an idea I had a while back. But I wasn't convinced it would be any lighter than a steel normal 1.1/8" steerer. Out of interest, when you get time, could you tell me the internal diameter at the bottom of the steerer please. A quick calculation (after accounting for the thread depth) makes the wall thickness 2.55mm, which is thicker than some Pace steerers. I wouldn't like to tighten a locknut particulary tight though. Possibly fine with something like a headlock!

Good job ;). Re the forks the finish, it is a tinted gold laquer, I had my paintshop replicate a set I had but have since sold them on a bike they were fitted too. Trouble with mag legs is nothing sticks to them for very long, but the guys I use paint a lot of mag wheels on Macca F1's so they know their sh*t. Glad to hear it rides well too ;)

Rampage":24qydlxj said:
Interesting, this is an idea I had a while back. But I wasn't convinced it would be any lighter than a steel normal 1.1/8" steerer. Out of interest, when you get time, could you tell me the internal diameter at the bottom of the steerer please. A quick calculation (after accounting for the thread depth) makes the wall thickness 2.55mm, which is thicker than some Pace steerers. I wouldn't like to tighten a locknut particulary tight though. Possibly fine with something like a headlock!

Internal diameter at the bottom is exactly 22.0mm (I expected 22.2, but nope, micrometer said no!) honestly, I can't see the benefit, the threads and groove are not the best, and the alloy is soft.

I have a set of AMP forks with an alloy steerer, and the alloy on these is WAY thick, 4mm+, I had a set of pace with alloy steerer at what must have been less than 2mm, so any internal diameter would have to be fork specific.

Back