the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Finished!

This is in working prototype form and I'm sure they'll be some tuning and changing of parts once I've covered some miles.

DSC_0445_zpsc96246d1.jpg

Ok I'm a relative newbie here but I'll add the mock up I did at the weekend after dragging my unused Carrera out of the shed.

CDB_zps28904ec1.jpg

Though I'll admit I'm considering fitting 700c wheels and Cross tyres, posssibly even SA 3 speed (again another mock up using whatever 700c wheels I had lying about).

CDB2_zps0647b9f6.jpg

Still unsure whether the Frame warrants the upgrades needed Including rigid forks, wheels etc within a budget of £250 (could probably push it a bit but not much) or should I get a better retro bike and customise that.

Love this thread and Retrobike in general I must say :D

Andy

That looks like an interesting project, good luck with it.

I wanted to use 700c wheels and cx tyres on my Rourke, but found that the depth of the tyres meant they rubbed on the underside of the fork crown and on the seatstay brace at the back. If you can get them to fit, then I think 700c's look very cool and will certainly give the speed and feel that I was hoping to get with the Rourke.

Huh. Would this be dumb to do with my 95 zaskar? I do have an old set of cinelli bars left over from my GT Edge upgrade....

NeilM":1ihsv8sj said:
That looks like an interesting project, good luck with it.

I wanted to use 700c wheels and cx tyres on my Rourke, but found that the depth of the tyres meant they rubbed on the underside of the fork crown and on the seatstay brace at the back. If you can get them to fit, then I think 700c's look very cool and will certainly give the speed and feel that I was hoping to get with the Rourke.

Your Rourke looks the absolutely lovely :cool: - any more pics???

andyz":onxh0xd6 said:
Your Rourke looks the absolutely lovely :cool: - any more pics???
Thanks!

No more pics yet, only a couple of it covered in dust after a 20 mile trail ride a few weeks ago.

I'll get up to the local woods soon with my camera.

I never did post a pic of my Giant Cadex finished... Must admit it's been an interesting experiment but I think I'm going back to straight bars on this one. The drops and suspension don't quite work for me, maybe it's something to do with not being John Tomac.

Worst bit is aching wrists down long downhill - the brake levers don't work too well with cantis even though they came off cx bike.

Steerer swap ahoy.

So what would I need for this? Could I put drops and thumbies on it and keep the brakes? Please explain.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 550
Back