Minor Gear Lever Problem - the Rapide (again!)

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I hope everyone is enjoying the superb weather.

I am in the final stages of completing my Raleigh Rapide and have a small problem. The right hand gear shifter keeps working loose. It took me while to remember that i had changed the levers 25 years ago because of this but now i need a solution. I can tighten it fairly well with a screwdriver but after a while it works loose - i retighten and it loosens again.

Al-onestare suggested Locktite - will that completely stick the nut? I am reluctant to use this if it make interfer with the actual operation of the lever.

If the problem is caused my worn fittings, i should have some spares to sort it out.

Link to the build -

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=228672

All ideas welcome,

Richard

p.s. I am sure you will all be glad to hear that this is the last obstacle before it is actually finished!!!

Are they friction shifters or indexed? If friction then check that all the bits are there, if they are then it's usualy a matter of tightening them by hand while riding as necessary as they had a habit of doing that...... I guess that's why Campag / simplex etc had the ability to tighten them by hand.

We used to swap screwdriver only shifters for hand tightened ones for that reason......

Shaun

Thanks Shaun,

They are friction - Campag levers and i am pretty sure all the bits are present. So i should look for hand tightenable screws?

Richard

That's what I would do.............trying to lock them in place with cyanoacrylate will work but doesn't take much to escape and coat the shifters. I wonder if anybody is selling something broken on the bay?

Are yours GS campag?

Shaun

Shaun,

I have no idea, the mechs are 980 i think. I might have some screws in one of my many boxes of bits.

Richard

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Blue loctite shouldn't cause an issue (it's designed to be used in placs where the parts need to come apart semi-regularly).

I'd agree with the others on here who've suggested hand-tightening types though (seem to recall my downtube shifers BITD had metal D-rings on them just for that purpose).

Thanks,

And thanks Ian but i was too slow. I think i might have those in a box somewhere.

I am pretty sure the washers etc are in the right place but can they wear? Would it worth trying another set?

Richard

Back