Early Muddyfox Lovers Anonynmous

Mahoney1978":714c01by said:
Is this Araya Japanese Muddyfox allowed?

But of course Sir, cousins from across the pond, always welcome.

Have you seen my alu team pro - it's half your colour scheme :cool:

And

Mahoney1978":5arbzbve said:
Is this Araya Japanese Muddyfox allowed?

That is truly lovely, very rare in my part of the World (UK)! :D

Any more Arayas out there?

Tbh I think its a little rare here in NZ too! The guy who bought this purchased it new in Tokyo, rode it as his commuter and bought it back to NZ in the early 2000's.

Would be cool to see some more. A huge shame though, the online Araya catalogue now seems to be defunct!!

Hello. I picked up an old Pathfinder at a yard sale a couple months ago. Had to replace the tires and a cable. I absolutely love this old bike and ride it often. The only thing that I do not care for is the handlebar stem. I am thinking about trying to change it to something that will allow a more comfortable ride position. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I also plan on slowly upgrading all the components as time and funds allow. The shifters, in particular, seem to have a very sloppy movement.
I have been out of biking for several - ok, many :cool: - years. Can anyone give some advice on decent, yet affordable, components? Shifters, etc?

MuddyFox is, apparently, very rare over here in the US. I can find no information about them here.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 24, 10 33 09 AM.jpg
    Photo Jul 24, 10 33 09 AM.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 463
  • Photo Jul 24, 10 34 51 AM.jpg
    Photo Jul 24, 10 34 51 AM.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 463
rickspathfinder":3ex9j6x6 said:
Hello. I picked up an old Pathfinder at a yard sale a couple months ago. Had to replace the tires and a cable. I absolutely love this old bike and ride it often. The only thing that I do not care for is the handlebar stem. I am thinking about trying to change it to something that will allow a more comfortable ride position. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I also plan on slowly upgrading all the components as time and funds allow. The shifters, in particular, seem to have a very sloppy movement.
I have been out of biking for several - ok, many :cool: - years. Can anyone give some advice on decent, yet affordable, components? Shifters, etc?

MuddyFox is, apparently, very rare over here in the US. I can find no information about them here.

The overly long and flat stem is why I moved my pathfinder on, I just couldn't get on with it and it seemed like sacrilege to use it with a non-matched stem. You won't have the option though as the rarity in the US as I just got a 1989 Courier comp and replaced it with that. I would suggest that you have a look for something like 110mm-120mm with about 10 degrees of rise as this should make it more comfortable and handle a lot better.

Carl.

Have a bit of a soft spot for these as it was the first mtb I ever saw in the 80's, never did get round to having one though.

But is it me or do the current versions look like kids cycles? You know, the kind you see in ASDA for £99.50. :cry:

superstar1":195mkzw3 said:
Have a bit of a soft spot for these as it was the first mtb I ever saw in the 80's, never did get round to having one though.

But is it me or do the current versions look like kids cycles? You know, the kind you see in ASDA for £99.50. :cry:

Sadly yes, but that's what happens when you go bust and universal buy you for the name :cry:

The good thing is that they were sold in decent numbers and are well built so many survive to be enjoyed by people like yourself who remember their first look at MTB'ing in the UK as a Muddyfox advert or the jealousy over a friends Courier Comp.

Carl.

drcarlos":2z4y7zib said:
superstar1":2z4y7zib said:

Sadly yes, but that's what happens when you go bust and universal buy you for the name :cry:

The good thing is that they were sold in decent numbers and are well built so many survive to be enjoyed by people like yourself who remember their first look at MTB'ing in the UK as a Muddyfox advert or the jealousy over a friends Courier Comp.

Carl.

Yes, exactly why my first bike in 25 years was an MF albeit a later FS one.

The History Man":2ln07c1e said:
drcarlos":2ln07c1e said:
superstar1":2ln07c1e said:

Carl.

Yes, exactly why my first bike in 25 years was an MF albeit a later FS one.

A rare example of a decent later one too.

Carl.

Back