Very Retro Coventry Eagle

Racin'snake

Gold Trader
Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
I realise this may be in the wrong section but could any kind chap shed light on the era of which this bike is from....its just been handed to me and I really like it! Everything works as it should....even the dynamo....what year ish? :)

Attachments

• rsz_20130713_213742.jpg
    rsz_20130713_213742.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 664
Blacktopdisciple":3aftvrap said:
Im thinking 1930's as well. Does it have a date on the rear hub gear shell?

Good thinking batman...why didn't I think of that?! I will check when my gallon of commercial grade de-greaser arrives :)

Just taken some gunk de-greaser to the rear hub.....underneath all the grime was a spankingly shiny stainless SA piece....it has lots of numbers stamped on it .Here they are

SWISS

So what date?! :)

I thought it looked like the 1938 trigger, which was new then. Cable brakes started in the 1900's.
The numbers are the patents. Usually says "AW8" somewhere, if there is no indicator rod on the left. 1938 was really the first year of the AW, but there were also other SA gears all having the indicator on the left of the hub axle.

The seatstays don't bolt on to the frame, which as a style guide usually suggests postwar. Brooks saddles often have a date stamp on the frame too.

Back