Question on setting up XT cantis

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Right, it is a well known fact that I dislike cantis, especially the older ones, but i have a build underway and another in the pipeline where there really is nothing else that will do.

I have just bought a set of Shimano M737 XT canti's, complete with the little link wire doofa's, in size B and want to know how to set them up for optimal performance.

LGF, Chopper; you guys are the experts in this field, how do I get these hateful things to actually work?

I move the lever adjusters out , pull the cable right on the cantis , level the blocks up so that the brakes are on full , undo the adjusters and wallar ! They are pretty much done other than a little pad adjustment .

The ones on my Zaskar are set up ace !

Luverly.

Thanks Adrian, I should have remembered that you knew about these, as it was your recommendation I was following when I bought them. :mrgreen:

I've got a set of these on my Kona, and they are really good IMHO.

I do away with the shimano link wire thingy and use a nice anodised aftermarket straddle doodad.

Have you got the XT blocks with them?

I set mine fairly wide at the front, (the post blocks have lines) mine have the 3rd line away from the block on the inside edge of the clamp. I also set the straddle wire low. This will give a soft feel but be fairly powerful. I tend to use the wind the cable adjuster out trick for the final adjustments.

On the back I set them on the 2nd line away from the blocks for a bit more heel clearance.

I also have a set of 734's and the 737's are so so much better!

I generally set mine so there is "feel" or "squidge", this means you have enough mechanical advantage to be squashing the blocks into the rims!

matt24777":krsmnr6d said:
Have you got the XT blocks with them?

I already had some XT blocks in stock, so they will be fitted as the blocks that came with the cantis are bin material.

Thanks for the info.

I set the pads up first then I zip tie the cantis together and wind the barrel adjusters out then pull the cable though to the limit tighten the bolt cut the cable tie and use the barrel adjuster to fine tune :D

The angle accross the straddle wire is meant to be 90deg. Try to achieve this when the blocks contact the rim (lever pulled) & not when they are in a rest position. A wider angle will offer more power & softer feel. Shallower the opposite obv & be more wooden in feel.

Depending on far apart the canti bosses are on your frames & forks aswell as the width of the wheel rim will all affecrt the positioning & setup of the pads & cable lengths.

Thanks guy's; I'm using all the advice and slowly getting there.

The more I mess with canti's, the more I like V-Brakes. :roll:

I'd also recommend binning the shimano straddle wire thang. They do work, but for best power, you want to get the straddle cable as close to the tyre as you dare.

Back