Small, economical automatic car

I had to find a small and economical car after my last car, a Citroen Berlingo, ended up in a ditch. The insurance was going to take an age to pay out and I couldn't justify the cost of another.
So I picked up a mk 4 version of the Fiesta in its most basic "endura" format, very little to go wrong, no PAS, ABS, aircon, e-windows, or any of the so called necessities.
Since then I have covered 40,000 miles in it and covered a lot of terrain, including winter driving in the Cairngorms, Pyrenees and French/Swiss Alpes. On a run I get around 45 mpg, slightly less if I force it above 70mph, it is a manual.
I think it cost me £850, I have done almost all of my own servicing and replaced consumable items such as, brake discs, drums and wheel bearings, plus odd things like a mirror and part of the front grill after I ingested a rabbit! Replacement parts cost RetroBike prices (Kona not Klein) and can be picked up off eBay or at the local factors.
It is basic and totally without any class whatsoever, but I can't fault the running costs.

Thanks for the replies, especially regarding the DSG gearbox - there are some horror stories out there! A manual 'box may be a better bet on a little car do stop-star motoring as you say. I'll keep looking.

SP

I love autos, so I can appreciate the desire for one. I hate small engines though, unless they are attached to bikes.

The whole fun of an auto for me is relaxed driving with no drama. My driving style changes when I am in an auto, I reckon the fuel use is not so different as a result.

Driving a wee car on the moronways is scary as heck too. LGF's Doblo sounds like a great compromise.

Did anyone mention?

Did anyone mention the Smart Car diesel, now they have auto gearboxes, don't they?.... I'll get my coat.

Re: Did anyone mention?

PurleySquire":uhjrwdwp said:
Did anyone mention the Smart Car diesel, now they have auto gearboxes, don't they?.... I'll get my coat.
no. They don't.

Back