Gout

It really is a pain in the big toe!

Ouch...make the pain go away

I had a gout attack a while ago, it was really painful, I thought I must have sprained my ankle or torn a ligament or something so went to A&E. I was shocked when the nurse said it may be gout, which a blood test later confirmed. I now eat a relatively low purine diet and I'm sure that my fasting 2 days a week and the subsequent weight loss also helps. I think the fasting may help my kidneys catch up and clear excess uric acid from my blood. In any case, so far so good, it's nearly 2 years since my last attack.

Link: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gout/Pages ... ction.aspx

"Where does it hurt? Does it hurt there?"
asked my doctor, poking my big toe joint...
.,. and sniggering .
"You have gout!"
Mine was caused by healthy living; too many nuts and pulses were my downfall. I was prescribed summat called Colchicine, which if taken double dose at the first inklings, nipped it in the bud.
A similar relief can also be had by stuffing yourself with B vits, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, or Berocca.
You could also stick to white wine for a while too.

The pain killers I had made me a Zombie!

And it turned me into a newt!

I still have a lump on the side of my once handsome big toe.

phew...I am not alone then.
This is my second attack in as many years.
My diet is pretty healthy. No meat, hardly any shellfish. No beer. Yes, a little red wine :roll:
I eat loads of salads and greens. Heaps of broccoli which makes your comment interesting Nick. I steer clear of anything processed etc.

Doctor has just given me ibuprofen. On the mend now

My best route out of pain was chilli - either raw or powder, the hotter the better. As its a natural anti inflammatory its perfect for a few hours relief. I was pretty shocked when my GP said I could neck 6 ibuprofen in one go! I wasn't keen and only happened on the chilli by accident.

Good luck!

Back