Headset coming loose all the time!!!

Check the lock nut, alloy iirc, see if the threads are flat, even stripped. apart from that some components just mess you around like that, others you never have to touch.

Good old threadlock will sort it. Two good blobs either side should hold it, let it cure over night.

Not sure if you have a 'RANGE' Homewares store near you but, one near me has it cheapest of all and no waiting for postman, sort of thing.

Thread lock sounds good i'll give that ago,there isn't a range nearby but sure motorworld would sell some. Cheers for that mate.

Is your steerer slightly too long? I once had the same problem, fitted an extra spacer which sorted it.

Skeelsie":cmsyctcq said:
Are you using two spanners to tighten?

I was kind of thinking that, I've been a victim of not backing off the top race against the locking nut properly in the past. The trick seems to be to slightly overtighten the locking nut first before backing off, even with proper headset spanners you tend to loosen the locking nut a bit as you back off...or at least I do. It may need a bit of trial and error but once sorted there should be no need for Loctite :)

If that fails it could well be a case of the fork steerer being a touch too long? even a mm or so can make tightening a bit tricky..

The washer thing is present between the two lock rings? Could the bearings need replacing? Could it just be worn out? My XT one went the same way. In the end it just wouldn't stay done up.

I'm guessing the the steerers the correct length coz its the original fork which came with the frame so don't think it's that. I've been using two spanners but i've never been backing the lock ring off a touch though,so it could be that. I'll give that ago and take it for a test ride and see what happens.
Cheers for the suggestions

Iwasgoodonce":3eqmdywb said:
The washer thing is present between the two lock rings? Could the bearings need replacing? Could it just be worn out? My XT one went the same way. In the end it just wouldn't stay done up.

It's a new DX headset,it'll be something i'm not doing write :) A bit of trial and error me thinks is needed.

Could it be that the new headset has a slightly lower stack height than the original one? Causing the same effect as the steered being too long?

Back