Fun Car. Talk to me!

Funny, I was going to mention a proper Mini, but having seen all the Mazdas and Alfas, I didn't think it would be on your list at all.

I had a Mini 1275 GT (replica), basically someone had dropped a 1275 Allegro engine in a Mini Clubman and fitted twin carburettors a loud exhaust, a set of alloys and a steering wheel the size of a polo mint, but left the original crummy drum brakes. It was a hoot to drive, but I probably did spend as much time fixing it as I did driving it. :?

IS200 is too gutless to get out of its own way.

MX5 is pretty much the /endthread option. Sticky rubber, some coilovers, a rollbar and a hardtop and you're set, service it occasionally, thrash it habitually.

My money would be on a Renault Clio 172/182, Porsche 944 or a MX5 with a hard top. Also worth consideration would be a E30 325i or Nissan 200SX. You might even find a E36 M3 for under 3k but it will be hard to find a good one at that price.

Grannygrinder":t17tgclm said:
PS. I wouldn't touch an RX8 with a sh*tty stick :?

Agreed. I was once at my mechanics place and he had a RX8 in which had discarded a rear wheel for no apparent reason. He put it down to the low grade metal that Mazda were using to cut costs. Then you have the engines thirst for petrol and oil, despite being not very quick and the problems starting the engine when warm. A bit of a shame really as they look good and are supposed to handle pretty well.

shogun":1qq6fpvt said:
IS200 is too gutless to get out of its own way.

When compared to a 25 litre Holden yes it probably is :LOL: :LOL:
I find it a hoot. The handling, even when it was standard, is superb which makes up for the slight lack of low end power. Pull like a train above 4500rpm ;)
Biggest plus point is it neveer breaks.

Having said all that, if i'd had £3000 i'd have bought a s14 200sx :D but i didn't :roll:

PS. You can fit a 3 litre twin turbo Supra engine :cool: good for about 620 ponies :LOL:

Attachments

• 3 litre twin turbo.jpg
    3 litre twin turbo.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 197
If it is purely a fun car, consider a 7 replica. I have one with a 2 litre Alfa twin cam in. I have to get rid of mine thanks to an asshat councillor who has scattered speedbumps everywhere.

It is fast but feels faster thanks to you sitting two inches from the ground. Insurance is cheap, indeed it is well under what I pay in tax for it.

There are then the ones with turbo motorbike engines if you want lots of high revving speed!

Most have a small boot for weekends away. I even go shopping in mine. Only two seats though.

I'd say MGF... stupendously cheap, like an MX5 except with attractive looks and character. But as your budget is pretty high, you don't have to care about reliability and you have a hankering for it go for the Alfa - they don't appeal much to me generally but far better to buy something you really like than something that's just fast / handles well / flash.

You'll enjoy driving it more and be more willing to forgive its indiscretions...

Back