1989 Moser - what components?

johninleeds

Retro Newbie
Hello, think this is my first time posting, I've mostly done a lot of reading (and bought the odd thing here and there).

I bought this beauty through this forum around six months ago, and though it rides beautifully the rear mech needs replacing and it's prompted me to think about what direction to take it in, because at the moment the components are nice but a bit all over the place!

The photos at the link above give you a good idea of how things are looking, but I've asterisked* anything that's different from the photo in the list below:

- Frame/forks Columbus SLX. 1989 I believe.
- Front and rear derailleurs are Mavic SSC (but the rear is completely knackered)

Dura-Ace 7400:
- Brake calipers
- Crank and BB
- Pedals (clips not cleats - these)*

- Levers are Aero Gran Compes
- Stem and bars are Cinelli (XA)
- Friction shifters are Simplex
- Hubs are Miche Competizion
- Rims are Saturne
- Saddle is a San Marco Regal (tan coloured, and I was planning on bringing the bar tape into line, e.g. Cinelli natural cork, shellac coated, or leather)*
- Seatpost is Gipiemme
- headset, seatpost bolt and dropouts are all Campag

Basically I can't decide what to do. Should I just go all out with DA-7400 stuff? The demise of the rear derailleur leaves me with relatively little Mavic SSC stuff, so it seems like it would be easier even though I was originally interested in going down the Mavic line to make things a little more distinctive.

But then if I do, would having a bit of 7401 stuff on there do any harm? (I only ask because I'm keen to keep aero levers) It's not like I'm looking to turn it into a money-spinner, the priority is something that looks good and consistent, though I don't particularly want to reduce the resale potential just in case. With this in mind, how far should I go? Is it worth worrying about the BB, hubs, cassette etc?

I'm not planning on running out tomorrow and spending a load of money, I'm more just trying to build a long-term plan in my head so I know what I'm aiming for (and in the meantime I'll keep riding it!)

Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed, thanks!

hi , i really love the colour scheme is it mettalic ? its really tasty any way the way the decals clash but seem to blend at the same time , it works really well !
columbus slx moser i would ask a guru what complete campagnola group to use for the year of her manufacture
and do a transplant , hubs and all,indexed shifter/s the lot .
then sell all the other parts or buy a doner bike with a complete campag group transfer and bung your existing components on that and flog it!
and i agree aero levers,the record ones are beautiful.

hi , i really love the colour scheme is it mettalic ? its really tasty any way the way the decals clash but seem to blend at the same time , it works really well !
columbus slx moser i would ask a guru what complete campagnola group to use for the year of her manufacture
and do a transplant , hubs and all,indexed shifter/s the lot .
then sell all the other parts or buy a doner bike with a complete campag group transfer and bung your existing components on that and flog it!
and i agree aero levers,the record ones are beautiful.

hi again , i would flog all your mavic stuff too and keep it pure italian even if it takes you 2 years,which is what my build looks like its going to take :LOL:
i can cheat though as my thing is italian made/french team and tubing and a us designer :)

hi again , i would flog all your mavic stuff too and keep it pure italian even if it takes you 2 years,which is what my build looks like its going to take :LOL:
i can cheat though as my thing is italian made/french team and tubing and a us designer :)

Nice purchase Johninleeds - I was tempted to buy your bike - it's a tad big though - it's a lovely looking machine that's for sure.

To many, both groupsets (7400 & Mavic) are some of the prettiest and functionally spot on groups from the era - I have both groups and like them equally and they're solid performers. The DA option will be the easiest to sort out - rear mech's are a plenty and go for £30 - £40 ish subject to condition. There's 7400 @ 6 speed, 7401 @ 7 speed and 7402 @ 8 speed, the latter being introduced in 1989. If your rear wheel is cassette rather than freewheel then any Shimano compatible 8 speed will do a job if you tie it in with 8-speed DT shifters or 8 speed brifters - 7410's I think are 8 speed but are scarce and expensive and usually pretty shabby looking due to age. The Mavic option is expensive and not that easy to source in decent condition, although the Starfish cranks are a real thing of beauty IMO.

There's one final consideration perhaps - Italian frame, should be Campagnolo throughout - you could get a complete Chorus groupset which be era correct and is a sublime bit of kit. At this point its cash money all the way.

I'n the first instance though, I'd buy a DA rear mech and see if you like how it performs and it gets the bike on the road for nominal outlay.

well there you go someone who knows
out of interest would the mavic starfish be ok for 1989 ?[ got one on the bay recently £70]
loads of guy's seem to be after mavic stuff, i guess an all french groupset would be something special !
does any one know what team used an all french groupset in the tdf? apart from gan with the doomed mavic zap ? was simplex and miche used in the tour ? i heard campag bought out miche .
what about suntour [jap ?] did they ever play a part in the tdf ?

Starfish was late 80's, not sure of the exact year though. SSC group started in the 70's with rims I think and continued in various incarnations through to the 90's. Be interested to know though exactly what year the Starfish was introduced. Mine's on a late 80's lo-pro, and it looks the business once polished up. Doubledee has an full Mavic SSC Vitus in the Reader's road bike section - truly an exceptional bike and simply gorgeous to ogle over - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=246927.

You're right about it being popular, I made comment on a thread some months ago about the prices sky rocketing. I think the SSC groupset was a complete group although there are some parts (DT levers, brake levers & calipers) that Modolo & Simplex had input into - I have Modolo made Mavic branded brake levers - not sure how that relationship came together?

As for TDF - ADR rode Merckx frames and SSC groupset in '88 - great looking bike that.

and not forgetting[ please correct if wrong] greg lemonds mavic stuff with the zap team . i find it really interesting and will deffinately try and read up on groupsets of the tdf through out its history !
this will be an easy one . Can you tell me when the first cassette cogs were used in the tdf and who brought
them out first ?
and also that on index 'd shifter's. i believe shimano sti beat campag ergo about 1993 ?
books on tdf running gear anybody ?
that mavic group is cool the brake levers and the metallic bronz calliper's rare as hell !
hilary stone had one but i seem to remember more items being bronz in colour...im not sure
even the criterium looking bars must be mavic ! cool

Back