1970s brands rating

wassertreter

Devout Dirtbag
I've been mulling over the idea to get a bike from my year of birth -- 1979 -- for some time. Could you help me which brands to watch out for, besides the obvious Cinelli, Colnago. Gios, Faggin, Raleigh, what else? How are the brands rated for quality? I'm seeing Colnagos the most on Ebay, with 70s Cinellis being very rare. Thank you.

-Viscount were still making bikes then - the Aerospace was their top model and is a bit different to usual if you can find one.
-Bob Jackson, Leeds connection if you're in the north. Any of his bikes were usually quite nice as I understand it.

Brian Rourke (Staffs) and Mercian (Derbyshire)

+1 on a Viscount Aerospace. Nice quality frame and they come up every now and then at good prices :)

I "left" cycling in 1978 to go to University and returned in 1979 for a short while and BITD I rode quite a few bikes and would have one again (Woodrup, Jackson, Raleigh, Mercian, Condor etc) but always hankered after a *real* Italian steed. In this case a Viner or a SABA.

For '79 Chic I'd plump for for an ALAN or a Raleigh Bonded frame (Dynatech) as they were seen as state of the art :)

Shaun

.......sorry, would not have been commercially available by Raleigh in 1979. The Raleigh reps bring things round (including magnesium alloy stuff) and probably my memory getting confused.

Shaun

Falcon Team San-Remo would drive you mad by the complete lack of braze-ons....... it does me LOL

Shaun

As its the year of your birth!who/what won the tdf that year an exact replica ! or onother one that was in it !

Back