which frame Yo or FRO

lewisfoto

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
So i have a bit of birthday money to spend and I have my eye on two frames, one is a later Yo Eddy with a suspension fork the other is an early Yeti FRO with no fork. Both are the same price, so which one?

I think it is very personal. I purchased a Serotta built Yo in 2003 and still have it. An aquamarine fade example showing a very nice build quality. I've owned a Pro FRO. An interesting frame with a unique loop stay construction. In terms of refinement it didn't fit really well in my collection, so that is why I let it go at some point.

Completely personal choice of course.

But if it was mine to make it would be the Yeti for a couple of reasons.

Early Yeti's have a relaxed and ride and the most excellent Patco tubing, plus if it is early enough they were CA made (i'm from Cali). Also the frame details scream mountain bike to me, even though they were heavily influenced by BMX designs.

The later Chances were made by Serotta so to me they don't have the coolness factor of the earlier rides. I'm sure the build quaility is still top notch and the ride would be primo.

Another factor, will you be riding rigid or run a sus fork?

Rigid=Yeti
FSus=Chance

Just my opinionated opinion.

I did not know about the Serotta built frames. This one is late 90s made in Saratoga County NY so is that the Serotta frame then?. I already have a Wicked but still leaning to the Yo.

Yo for me too, Ill be upping a thread soon on my 93 Yo resto,
But I do love 80's bmx loop chainstays

lewisfoto":19rq19wt said:
I did not know about the Serotta built frames. This one is late 90s made in Saratoga County NY so is that the Serotta frame then?. I already have a Wicked but still leaning to the Yo.

If I recall correctly the Fat-Serotta connection lasted only two years. The Serotta frames show top notch welding and a paint quality that is unmatched.

lewisfoto":dtxf3z72 said:
So i have a bit of birthday money to spend and I have my eye on two frames, one is a later Yo Eddy with a suspension fork the other is an early Yeti FRO with no fork. Both are the same price, so which one?

i've owned both. to ride, the Yo, to hang on a wall & look at, the Fro.

Hi, not owned a yo (have owned a kicker)
I own 86. 90. 91 FRO's

The early ones seems to ride ok, more relaxed.

The newer ones have different angles and seem to ride harder but the yeti fork is not known for its flex. The 71/71 angles make you sit further back IMO

If you need a fork for the yeti, it may take a while. I would go suspension personally

So check if it's 1" or bigger the bmx headset may be a nightmare.

I would of course get the yeti :D

Back