will i ever be satisfied or ?

Pretty much echo what Stevo says... many of the "boutique" and "desirable" brands just do nowt for me... in fact, its the drooling and swooning of them by what I would determine as the "elite nerds" (note, not elitist... lets not go down that route again! :roll:) that actually put me off. I am sure I would be very happy with a Fat or a Fro, but the way that people get all excited and jittery over them just turns me off

Ive only got 2 bikes now, and I dont have an aching for another (altho I do have another classic motorsport theme bubbling away in the back of my mind... maybe a road bike or 700c mtb drop bar). My 2001 Kilauea and my BMX cruiser/street/park/dirt thing, which isnt a rider at the moment due to brake issues... besides, its getting a makeover soon

I agree ringo, back in the day those who could afford the boutique bikes were a different breed to me. Though they were friends, they could afford these things with ease and certainly didn't fail to show it. It did breed envy and whilst I'm by no means rich, I can at least now (well not now actually) see what I was missing out on back then. To be honest I am still the same person so a top spec Raleigh is as good (to me) as a top spec Klein, in fact better as my Klein is so rigid its not nice to ride long distances. I'm satisfied with my builds, don't buy into the elitism of the boutique brands and will probably be satisfied with them if I did build them up, but that may never happen as I'm already satisfied. Can you be too satisfied though? I'm certainly not whenever I go into my garage and have to work around all the boxes of bits I have, so satisfaction is relative.

Its better to be satisfied and lost, than to have never been satisfied at all. I just like building bikes up.

Ramble over for now.

You'll keep doing it until you realise you're doing it out of habit and are not getting a real buzz out of what you pick up.

You will then either pack it up (as some friends have done) or go back to the reason you were interested in the first place. The whole cycle might just start again then. I'll let you know in a year or so. :facepalm:

I'm satisfied now, no choice - I need to find time for what I already have to do, so not buying anything else apart from some bits. Have some frames, but I will use bits I already have on other bikes to ride them before I invest any further cash on them. Probably not though, just keep moving things around. Its perverse, but I'm currently spending more time tinkering with bikes than riding them and with little time to tinker, there's no time for riding.

I'm enjoying small projects as well, like rebuilding a knackered set of old Hope disc brakes. But again finding time is tough. One for the winter perhaps - nice indoor job ;)

for now when ever i walk into the man cave i feel satisfaction at seeing the zaskar and lobster frames and planning both builds over the coming weeks using most of the parts i have or selling the technuim as a full bike and sourcing new parts for one build with some ano thrown in ( see im at it again not entirely satisfied :facepalm: with wot i have ) its seem a never ending circle :roll: i can see the frames painted or powder coated in the colour choice of both myself and better half but then again as i browse the sale forums and fleabay hunting for a nice set of suspension forks for both builds i find myself drawn towards the frames with a niggle for something steel :D i can only be grateful the type like I F or fat are out of my range at the moment and more than likely to stay that way or it could be quite an expensive trip trying to find a frame/bike im completely happy with and never willing to part myself from :D

From the satisfaction of desire there may arise accompanying joy and, as it were sheltering behind it, something not unlike despair.

Back