Gearing question

I don't really buy into this wear out quicker idea, given that all the serious roadies I know, who ride day in day out, all weathers and all year round, ride 10 or 11 speed and change their cassettes about once a year.

We may ride through more mud on mtb's, but we don't get anywhere close to the kind of miles that even part time slackers like me cover on the road.

I've got a hardly used 38 tooth renthal front ring if you're interested as it's a tad too tall for what I want

Cheers, lll go for 9 speed I think. I do have a 5 hole shimano crank that came off the bike, the 5 holes seem very close, is this a standard fit if looking for 5 hole chain rings?

Cheers for the offers on the parts, dependant on her old bike currently on eBay selling I may get back to you later this week if still available !

So I've worked the crank arms I have are 68 bcd, I guess I'm not going to get a useable chainring to fit that?, I guess I'm after a full crankset then?!

Suspect your measuring is out as you don't get 68 BCD 5-hole chainrings?

Measure your crank again and refer to the chart in the listing below for your BCD...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stronglight-5 ... 5d2b84dc0f

...then you should find something useful :cool:

At a guess, depending on whether you're measuring the inner or outer bolt circle, I'd say you have either a 110/74 BCD standard crank or a 94/58 compact. If it's the compact you'll find you have much more choice in 94 BCD, whereas the largest 74 BCD ring I found was 34T.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Shimano 9 speed cassette that runs from 12T-36T does everything the 10 speed cassette does for a lot less. Cant see the point of going 10 speed unless you like spending money on new kit.

Handy link cheers!

Ah, I think I'll have a problem then, the crank arms are old alivio, they would have bolted to the granny then the granny was welded to the other chain rings, I've measured again and the distance between middle of hole to the next is 40mm, so looks like ill find it difficult to find a 32t ring to fit that

I'm going 9 speed, agree not worth blowing my budget on 10, I've no issues with 9!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Definitely 40 mm across bolt holes???! It's a weird one ill post up a pic when I get a chance just to make sure I'm not being a complete numpty

Back