will i ever be satisfied or ?

painter09

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
affter finding the bike i got the other half ( spesh stumpy 88 ) a tad to small i was on the hunt for a larger frame to transplant all the spesh parts onto it, a week later i secure a very nice 20 inch zaskar thanks to Logic.Al :D and part with the beer tokens ;) 5 mins affter payment a second frame comes up from Azaro in the guise of a rock lobster and even though the zask is secured and i have a fully functional raleigh technium chill i use as my daily ride and not looking to change it i still find myself shouting dibs and were do i pay :roll: brain ticking over thinking of transplanting all the nice stuff off the chill onto the lobster and never actualy stopping to think do i need this frame ? is the chill not good enough ? is it normal ? will i ever be satisfied ? or will i just keep getting the urges to buy frames build them ride them untill another frame / part pops up and like a alcoholic in need of a drink falling over myself to get my hands on it, will i forever be doomed will i ever be satisfied with wot i have or will this be the story of my life forever more ?

all answers on the back of a £50 note to p/o box ;)

Short answer: NO!

There will always be 'just one more' bike / frame / component that tempts you.

MADJEZ":1fa1haap said:
will i ever be satisfied or ?

I believe Mick Jagger had a similar problem..... I'll get my coat. :oops:

Well I have it on good authority from that same philosopher, Mr Jagger, that you can't always get what you want - but sometimes, just sometimes - you get what you need...

painter09":14gcyyxr said:
affter finding the bike i got the other half ( spesh stumpy 88 ) a tad to small i was on the hunt for a larger frame to transplant all the spesh parts onto it, a week later i secure a very nice 20 inch zaskar thanks to Logic.Al :D and part with the beer tokens ;) 5 mins affter payment a second frame comes up from Azaro in the guise of a rock lobster and even though the zask is secured and i have a fully functional raleigh technium chill i use as my daily ride and not looking to change it i still find myself shouting dibs and were do i pay :roll: brain ticking over thinking of transplanting all the nice stuff off the chill onto the lobster and never actualy stopping to think do i need this frame ? is the chill not good enough ? is it normal ? will i ever be satisfied ? or will i just keep getting the urges to buy frames build them ride them untill another frame / part pops up and like a alcoholic in need of a drink falling over myself to get my hands on it, will i forever be doomed will i ever be satisfied with wot i have or will this be the story of my life forever more ?

all answers on the back of a £50 note to p/o box ;)

You will find the answer to this in my signature :mrgreen:

That said.... it's tough sitting on your hands sometimes :)

I thought no myself but having more bikes, parts, forks, frames than I truly need, I find myself very satisfied with the 4 working bikes I have, and have lost enthusiasm for the ones I have sourced all the bits I need for.

My current working bikes are:

GT Team Rts kitted out with modern xtr, carbon, fox forks and mavic crossmax ceramics. A very comfy ride.

DBR Axis TT. Lovely ti frame, fox forks, m952 and Paul's v brakes. Lovely looking and did me well on the London to Brighton cross country ride (had never ridden for so long/distance wise and I came through unscathed)

Saracen Tuff Trax elite with xt m739 and thumbies. Mud guards, racks and a child seat for pootling about locally and may be a commuter soon

Raleigh dyna-tech tourus with m952 and as much Brit kit as I could manage (x-lite, use, pace, middleburn). Just finished it tonight and even if I do say so myself, looks lovely. Need to ride it now.

Even with these I now find myself thinking do I need 2 ti hard tails, which I obviously didn't when I bought them. When I think about the builds I have to do, I'm struggling to find motivation, and imho I have some nice ones to go (fat chance yo eddy, dekerf mountain, another rts (m900 planned), litespeed obed fs, amp b5 and a pace RC 200 F3). The pace and amp still hold a little interest, but now I've got to where I am, I do feel satisfied, but for how long.......

Always fancied an STS though.

No-one is going to be 'satisfied' with their lot as long as they continue to make moon eyes at a bike just because of the decals on the down tube... :roll:

Just look at the roll call of frames that Ishaw has 'lost interest' in compared to those he is 'happy' with; he has made the startling discovery that if you build virtually any bike just the way you want it then you find the craving for more 'fashionable' kit starts to wain.

Add to that the realisation that it is 'just another bike' and how many bikes you can ride at once and you slowly begin to regain some perspective...

...all I ever aspired to was a late 90's Explosif; not exactly 'high end' in many people's eyes but I certainly have no hankering for any of the bikes that garner so much 'enthusiastic' interest on here.

Yes, I can appreciate they are nice bikes but not once have I got itchy palms and broken into a cold sweat because I don't own one; in fact some of them leave me completely cold and wondering which gene I am missing that thankfully renders me immune to collective hysteria! :LOL:

There are many on here who would term my modest collection as 'mundane' and 'uninspiring' or even just plain 'lame' ( all quotes from recent posts BTW) but for me they tick all the relevant boxes; a bike I had BITD, another I aspired to, one for SWMBO, one because it's the same bike my Dad had when I was a kid, another because I lusted after it in the the LBS next to the Newsagents where I did my paper round, the next because I fancied a DH bike again (but at least it's a Brit), and a couple inspired by someone else's thread on what some would regard as 'mediocre' steel frames...

...and to be honest, even that is a few too many for practical reasons if not the dire effect on my overdraft! :facepalm:

It will be a very cathartic exercise indeed the day I finally get my 'For Sale' thread up and running... :cool:

Back