Santa Cruz Chameleon Build

konacollector

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, My name is Jack and im new to this forum and i thought id make a build thread to start things off!

Ive always fancied a SC chameleon but ive always opted for more dirt jumper style hardtail frames but as im getting older and doing more singletrack/trail riding its seems like a good time to buy one.

Im going for a tough trail bike build but one that also fits the era of the frame, approx 2004 i believe, maybe someone with more knowledge of SC bikes could confirm?

Ive collected a few bits together so far but on the hunt for some more bits.

Spec so far as follows

Santa Cruz Chameleon frame in black, small,
Mavic D521 rims on Hope Big un hubs in silver front and rear,
Hope Mini brakes front and rear with 185mm rotors,
Azonic shorty stem and Double wall bars,
Raceface Northshore cranks with evolve dh bb.

im hoping to get hold of some xt m750 shifters and mechs and as far as forks im holding out for some Marzocchi Shiver sc but they are proving hard to find in good condition.

What seat and seatpost would you guys recommend form that era? I was thinking x-lite or raceface XY seatpost with SDG seat?

Any other ideas? Thanks.

More pictures to follow but here is one of the frame.

Sounds like you've got the right idea, I love Chameleons too although I've never had one, I've been close though and do have a Ti Charge Blender which is a similar kind of frame.

If you can't get shivers just some standard Z1s of that era would look good, you know the ones with the 'M' arch? Possibly stiffer too. I love the old skool bombers but I'm not sure if they'd suit your build.

I look forward to updates, this bike is right up my street :)

Sounds like you've got the right idea, I love Chameleons too although I've never had one, I've been close though and do have a Ti Charge Blender which is a similar kind of frame.

If you can't get shivers just some standard Z1s of that era would look good, you know the ones with the 'M' arch? Possibly stiffer too. I love the old skool bombers but I'm not sure if they'd suit your build.

I look forward to updates, this bike is right up my street :)

Latest posts

Back