Specialized Shark Fin re-manufacture ?

Proflex 1982":umz930lm said:
I have someone that can make a sharksfin but I need to give him a blueprint for it or an original. Can't find either anywhere. I want one for both of my fsr's. any one can get me either of them then I can get them made within a week.
You or your friend measure up the hole centres and other dimensions of the frame you have, then use the information here:
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index. ... e-Spec.gif
to fill in the blanks. Think about the forces and the directions they are going in and add material or cut-outs to suite.

Obviously the spec. is for post-mount callipers so the part you make is going to look a bit different to the original shark-fin. Probably good from a copy-right point of view though.

If you make something that fits and works, post back some pics of the engineering drawings to help other people out.

Good Luck! :)

Edit to say, let me know if you need any help figuring out which dimensions you need or how to measure them.

bigmick":21v3qv42 said:
Proflex 1982":21v3qv42 said:
i gave you a link to images with measurements

what more do you want
Someone to do the rest of the hard work too! :LOL:

To be fair though, I design and make things like this and I wouldn't be able to pull enough information off those images to be confident in making something that fits.
Now with the bike in front of me and the spec. of the mount (like i linked to), it would be a different story!

good to see the thread is back to life

proflex 1982, i've been work'n on the case
will post those drawings when i get a photobucket login sorted

how is you friend going to make the fin
plate?? welded, cast, will make a difference to the drawings

the one prob we have to look out for, is the chain stay bushing bolt hitting the disk there is not much clearance down there

hARro":wyt42frp said:
the one prob we have to look out for, is the chain stay bushing bolt hitting the disk there is not much clearance down there
Surely if the Specialized part didn't foul, then a re-manufactured part would be OK?! :?

What might be useful for people is if you could give the critical dimensions for the part, then the individual could flesh out the detail of the design for their manufacturing process. More people might be able to make them then, and it may eliminate liability issues for you!

Basically I am a carpenter and I am working for a guy that owns four different company's and one of them is a metal fabricating firm. He has said to me that if I can get him the blueprints for it then he be happy to get it made up for me. I just need to find detailed enough drawings so I can get it done. Instead of using photo bucket you can email me direct if you want.

Proflex 1982":9texon6r said:
Anyone got anything
Mate, if your a chippy, you could mock one up out of wood to sus out the form and dimensions.
You could bolt it onto the bike and screw on the calipers (the M6 screw should bite into a 5.5mm hole sufficiently to prove the fit).

When your happy, give the mock-up to the engineering company and they'll 'knock one up' out of ali.
There's always more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

Back