Town Or Country?

Would you prefer rural living to city dwelling?

• Yes

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bit of both

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I like a small town

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I like a small village

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Currently living in the city, but grew up in towns. I'll have a small house somewhere in the middle of nowhere please, preferably within reasonable distance from Honolulu.

Lived 37 years in North and Mid Wales....when i moved to Worcestershire, i found it difficult to navigate as i'm used to looking up at mountains to tell where i am,,,,,,,seriously ! I am very home sick for hills and mountains, they don't haveto be in Wales, the lake district would do me fine.

Pic of one of my ex local walks....

While some people will immediately feel at home in one or the other I think it does rather depend on financial circumstances and employment opportunities and how bad the commuting is. Personally I loved living in Central London but also like a more rural small village. It's the bit in between I wouldn't go for, none of the real benefits of central London but all the hassle of people too close together.

I love the cycling I can do at the moment, open fields in two minutes etc :LOL: , space and garage to play with old cars :LOL: , space in the house to enjoy it :LOL: . In London I was in Camden Town, more bars in walking distance than even Oliver Reed could visit :LOL: , plus numerous restaurants :LOL: , cinema :LOL: , 5 min to Regents Park :LOL: but the outer circle gets a bit tiresome after a while :cry: A shed load of cash could solve the space issue but short of a lottery win........Restaurants in more rural areas have to be driven to :cry: and are often over priced mediocrity :cry: . Cinema is a 30 minutes away :cry: . No food deliveries :cry:

Does also depend on local people but this is so down to individuals that not deciding factor.

MikeD":xjw6me08 said:
Chopper1192":xjw6me08 said:
Despite that its all relative. Its never that rural in southern or central England.

"Rural" isn't the same as "wilderness", you know :)
Yes, I see your point! It's rural enough here the in heavy rain the only road floss (it's a Ford) and we won't be able to get out without the Land Rover, except on a mountain bike up the bridleways. 7 miles in either direction and we got 2 large towns - doubtless another century the towns will have joined and swallowed the villages.

I do crave wilderness though and as soon as circumstances allow I'll be moving to Shetland, island of my birth, hopefully year after next. I can't be remote enough if I'm honest, and I'd quite happily be marooned on an island if it has a temperate, cool oceanic or sub arctic climate and I got my bikes with me.

I could never move back to a town or city, despite the fact that I was brought up in a 100,000+ town, and only really went rural about 6 years ago. From my garden, I can see from Snowdon in one direction to the Irish Sea (Irish coast on a very clear day) in the other. I only have 1 actual neighbour, and have 2-3 vehicles an hour driving past the house (including tractors). People here still don't lock their doors. Nearest pub and Spar are less than a mile away, and the supermarkets are a 10 minute drive.

Here's the weird thing, though - on the occasions when I visit central London, I get a feeling of total belonging that I've never felt anywhere else. When I come out of Kings Cross station (I usually go via train), I stand on the pavement, take a deep breath of polluted air, listen to the relentless clamour, and feel more relaxed and at peace than I can describe. I could spend 3 or 4 hours walking aimlessly, anywhere north of the Thames, and have the time of my life. I seriously doubt I could live there all the time, but I'd love to have a flat there, to escape to.

Barneyballbags":3cqvjbwi said:
Elysarian":3cqvjbwi said:
closest pub is 3 miles away

WHAT?! I could never live that far away from a drinking establishment! ;)

Out nearest is only 1.3/4 miles away but we've only been once, I prefer to order it in and have a nice quiet evening at home, I just feel like a daft awkward oaf in a pub :oops:

Alison

I've lived in some very remote places in my time, Little Sark anyone? Then there has been places that were ideal for recluse needs with a town close, Osea Island as an example. I have to say though it's relative.

In towns most people are too busy to notice stuff so a large amount goes over their heads, where it's quiet you seem to notice everything to a point something silly can become the most important thing in your living location.

At different times in my life busy has been great and at other times the quiet needed has been welcome. It very much depends more on yourself than the location.

Back