Rear Crud Catcher / Mud Guard

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I want some kind of rear guard.

The simpler and the lighter = better :D

Can't frame mount, must be post or seat mounted.

Any recomendations on what's best ? Crud ? Top Peak ? Other ? Any particular models to steer clear of ?

Cheers,

WD :D

WD Pro":367g3vih said:
I want some kind of rear guard.

The simpler and the lighter = better :D

Can't frame mount, must be post or seat mounted.

Any recomendations on what's best ? Crud ? Top Peak ? Other ? Any particular models to steer clear of ?

Cheers,

When you say can't be frame mounted - is that because of the geometry / design, or because there's no hole in the bridge?

I've used some plastic clip on guards on my 95 Apex, the frame has no hole in the seat-stay bridge, nor any mounting holes on the dropouts (or forks, for that matter). They clip around the seat-stay bridge (snap on to it) and snap around the seat-tube, just below the front mech - think there may be a handy little cutout on the seat-tube clip thing for the front mech cable too - either that or I made one.

They're reasonably long, but would clog in mud, they're really for use in the road against rain.

And all of that is pointless waffle, if there's frame design / geometry reasons why you couldn't use that sort of mudguard.

No, purely asthetics and frame finish protection ... :oops: :LOL:

No holes in the bridges though and no bosses :D

If I can mount on the seat rails - no helitape needed.

If I can mount on the seatpost - only one band of helitape needed.

I have both a Topeak and a Crud Catcher and they're much of a muchness to be honest.

I use them on my MTBs to keep my arse dry and stop that brown stripe that make you look like you've had an embarrassing explosive episode. They both do a good job. You still get spray off the rest of the wheel though.

I run proper full length, full width mudguards on my commuter, they're far better and prevent spray off the wheels on your legs but they'd be crap in mud.

I have a crud catcher and a retro flinger. Both work but flinger is more adjustable with a jointed arm rather than fixed.

I have them all , in assorted colours :D All crud naturally.

Race crud is good and quite minimal. Seatpost mounting.
My personal preference with crud is their original crud guard with the alloy posts. :D A tastier looking guard ive yet to see.

To the moment im using their more modern style seat post mounted. It does the job though isnt very ascetically pleasing

dyna-ti":3hrnnv7k said:
My personal preference with crud is their original crud guard with the alloy posts. :D A tastier looking guard ive yet to see.

+1

I still have the one that I bought as soon as they came out, complete with period MBUK sticker :LOL: As you say, I've never seen another guard that manages to combine practicality and retro looks to the same degree.

Any pictures of the above ?

I found this picture on here during a search :

ass%20savers%20home.jpg

Any got one, tried one etc ?

Any UK retailers ?

That ^^^ is too much of a mud/water trap for my liking. OK if the saddle's just a cheap throwaway job, or if you're happy to remove the guard and clean the area every few days, but I reckon a seatpost-mounted guard would be more practical.

I've used the Ass-saver and it's not overly great on an mtb.
It's too high and a bit too flimsy to keep mud off you. It's ok in the road bike at keeping spray off ya butt.

I use an SKS seatpost mounted one on the mtb. It attached via a nylon strap so it's easy to get it on and off, yet doesn't move or slip. Excellent bit of kit!

Latest posts

Back