BoTM July '13 - Muddy Fox vs Orange vs Saracen - Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BoTM July '13 - Muddy Fox vs Orange vs Saracen - Nominat

brocklanders023":32a6c785 said:
drcarlos":32a6c785 said:
brocklanders023":32a6c785 said:
Call me an Orange snob but I think they're the odd one out from this bunch and wouldn't have lumped them in with Saracen + MF. :facepalm:

I'm a Saracen fan too before anyone gets upset. Might enter the Tufftrax if I can get round to taking some new pictures. ;)

I actually wouldn't have lumped Saracen in with MF + Orange as these two are predominantly far east made bikes designed and distributed in the UK, where Saracen were designed and handbuilt in the UK.
Orange and MF also go back right to the first Clockworks which were almost clones of the MF bikes, having evolved from the short lived Tushinghams one of which was co-developed with MF.

Carl.

I think the direction I was going in was that both Saracen and MF seemed to aim at the low to mid range bikes but with a 'cherry on top' super bike stuck in the range that no one would buy but looked good in the line up where as Orange started at mid range and went higher with a good percentage of bikes sold being topish end.

I see what you mean, I'm not really a Saracen person but MF certainly had the low end attainable bikes with some nice halo models that drove desirability of the low end stuff. This said though some of the lowest MF frames (1990 Pathfinder and Courier Comp come to mind here) were near enough Identical in spec to the Clockwork frames (Tigged Tange Infinity Tubes and Tange Cr-mo forks) just with lower spec parts to make them cheaper. The good thing about this was they didn't feel overdone if you chucked LX or DX on them like the Clockworks.

Carl.

Brocklanders 1989 Saracen Tufftrax.

Link- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154964

May as well chuck this in as it's just arrived home after being stored at my sisters. Nice and original including reflectors on the frame and wheels! :eek: :LOL:

See the link for the resto and more pictures. :|

Attachments

• DSC00518.JPG
    DSC00518.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC00519.JPG
    DSC00519.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 469

brocklanders023":3s3l2mx1 said:
Brocklanders 1989 Saracen Tufftrax.

Link- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154964

May as well chuck this in as it's just arrived home after being stored at my sisters. Nice and original including reflectors on the frame and wheels! :eek: :LOL:

See the link for the resto and more pictures. :|

Never normally comment but feel compelled to .......That rather nice ! :LOL:

A better combination would have been Saracen, Muddy Fox and Raleigh given these were mostly entry level bikes and would have been those of our young years.

The vote is the vote and I am very much enjoying some nice work by their owners.

KDM":35663100 said:
A better combination would have been Saracen, Muddy Fox and Raleigh given these were mostly entry level bikes and would have been those of our young years.

The vote is the vote and I am very much enjoying some nice work by their owners.

Agreed.

Where are the green Saracen Trekers or fillet brazed Kili's? Also, no sign of some of the beautiful restored Clockworks. Come on gang, we've seen 'em on the site recently so post 'em up!

KDM":nqcatgfv said:

You mean B.O.T.M should revolve around the trusty but badly neglected steeds we did Paper rounds on :shock:

Extra marks for Buckled wheels and rusty chains ?? :cool:

I think there's some really great bikes entered even if they do have humble origins.... but adding Raleigh would
be a step too far sadly 90% of them are Poooop but I like your thinking ! :LOL:

I don't know - the dynatech are worth a lookin. Even a couple of the comedy activator builds would have raised a smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back