Retro hope hub vs deore modern

secret_squirrel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm considering building a cheapy wheel set and I am stuck for choice between using stuff I have laying around and buying new.

I have a hope ti-glide / suspension pair of hubs - how would they compare to something modern like deore?

'modern' deore is about as modern as the MTB, they are pretty much the same hub year after year. If they are still normal bearings and cones that is. Whereas an 'old' Hope is nice super smooth sealed bearings.

But, with old Hopes comes the worry of cracking flanges, I have had two go now and there are many more on the site

A formerly mint hub (but it had covered some 40,000 miles so I had no complaints)

dsc00968_132.jpg

They crack on usage rather than when being laced right? They are going to be light use wheels so as long as they tend to crack in use I'm willing to take the chance.

Modern hubs have a shorter and smoother ratchet period. No idea if the new Deore are included in this
Hope look better
Hope are probably lighter or as light.

To be honest I don't know the Deore, just the XT.

The XT is a smoother, stiffer and quicker to engage hub and no weight penalty.

I'd choose the Hope though ;-)

As you posted in the <97 section I think you have answered your own question. I'd go for the hopes myself, just finishing a build using a set myself so a little biased. If/when they break, use the deore ones.

Hopes it is then - just need to check that the cost of rims + spokes + build at my lbs is reasonable compared to a set of pre-built deores + rims.

To keep costs down I'd source rims and spokes yourself, then lace them up roughly. That way you can get away with a true rather than a build if you get fairly close to round and straight.

secret_squirrel":eve9twju said:
Never laced a wheel in my life :)

looks like it's time to learn then ;)
it's honestly not even hard, specially if you got someone who can show you and set you away

Back