Educate me on the wonders of 29ers!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

Thinking of possibly delving into the world of a 29er and need some overall education! Have a bunch of probably dumb questions so bear with me...

- I assume a 29er frame needs a 29er fork not a standard one? (and obviously 29" wheels!)
- Would other components be transferrable from a 26" bike? Drive train, disc brakes stems etc?
- Would a 10 speed frame have the same width between the dropouts as a 9 speed?
- Does a 29er even out the bumps more than a 26"?
- Is it worth going full suss or would a hardtail give enough comfort?

So given that if you had around £500-£600ish for either a full suss frame, or hardtail, forks and wheels what would you get...not after new so second hand fine! Or should I go for a full bike and upgrade? Over all I would like it to be as light as possible but always been fearful of carbon as I weigh over 16 stone!

I've heard good things about Genesis bikes but what would you do??

All comments/opinions gratefully received!

Doug

wookiee":n32e7dva said:
- I assume a 29er frame needs a 29er fork not a standard one? (and obviously 29" wheels!)
- Would other components be transferrable from a 26" bike? Drive train, disc brakes stems etc?

If fitting a suspension fork, typically 490mm for 29er but I'm running a 440mm rigid fork on my Ritchey P29 as I like a low front end and nice, sharp handling.

Yes, regular 26" MTB parts will fit, but obviously need to check things like seatpost size, front mech fitting like you would with swapping parts to any frame.

Most MTB frames are 135mm OLN but there are some 142mm rear-end frames about so worth checking.

I certainly feel my Ritchey is smooth over the rough stuff - once up to speed, rolling resistance is noticeably better with tubeless tyres vs 26er with tubes. I'm running 2.4" X-Kings tubeless on P35 rims - they fly!

Full-sus? Depends on the terrain you're riding and your favoured style of riding - I'm happy fully rigid

monty dog":3liq75wi said:
wookiee":3liq75wi said:

If fitting a suspension fork, typically 490mm for 29er but I'm running a 440mm rigid fork on my Ritchey P29 as I like a low front end and nice, sharp handling.

Yes, regular 26" MTB parts will fit, but obviously need to check things like seatpost size, front mech fitting like you would with swapping parts to any frame.

Most MTB frames are 135mm OLN but there are some 142mm rear-end frames about so worth checking.

I certainly feel my Ritchey is smooth over the rough stuff - once up to speed, rolling resistance is noticeably better with tubeless tyres vs 26er with tubes. I'm running 2.4" X-Kings tubeless on P35 rims - they fly!

Full-sus? Depends on the terrain you're riding and your favoured style of riding - I'm happy fully rigid

Thanks for that...I have fully rigid retro bikes and have been riding an 08 Marin full suss but seems a bit tank like, still trying out a 97 marin full suss, but have never ridden a hardtail much...so thats why I was thinking maybe a 29er hardtail may suit me more and weigh less etc. I ride local woodland trails mainly no big rocks, more roots, tree stumps and fallen trees....oh and always (we are in the uk) gloopy mud!

Are tubeless tyres heavier than the tube and tyre equivilent?

Isnt there a odiscussuon here about the merits if a 29er

Yes it is easier to roll but larger wheels mean slower to steer.... and to counter that they have wider bars

They are heavier than eqivalent 26er

02gf74":29n3jxp7 said:
Isnt there a odiscussuon here about the merits if a 29er

Yes it is easier to roll but larger wheels mean slower to steer.... and to counter that they have wider bars

They are heavier than eqivalent 26er

hmmm how much heavier?

how long is a piece of string? would depend on model, parts fitted and type: rigid, hardtail or fs.

i'll take a guess at a lightweight carbon fibre hardtail.
- frame, longer seat and chain stays, longer down tube usually curved to clear forks crown, shorter headtube = 100g
- forks, longer sliders but shorter steerer = 100 g
- wheels, larger diameter rims, longer spokes = 100 g
- larger diameter tyres, rim tape and inner tube and more air = 150 g

so my guesstimate is about 450 g or 1 lb

a like for like comparison: http://mbaction.com/Main/News/26er-Vers ... -4713.aspx

weight differnce is more since they are Al frames and lower spec. components than my "idealised" lightwieght CF hhardtailabove.

I wouldnt touch a £600 29er. You need to be around the grand mark on frame, forks and wheels to get a stiff frame and non flexy wheels. A cheap 29er is dire, but a decent one can be fun, in the dry at least.

My first big-wheeler arrived today...

Hoping to get out and give it a good thrashing tomorrow afternoon :D

Latest posts

Back