Dawes New Wave

weeman_mtb":1oeswu32 said:
NeilM":1oeswu32 said:
I think we have two conversations going on here :?
Sorry Neil, feel a bit bad going off topic your build thread, just trying to nudge elpedro in the right direction so that bren can get his Dawes collected.

No Problem.

Oops, was only one post at the start of page two and I didn't check wherei was - sorry and thank you! I'll get myself back to the other thread! :LOL:

NeilM":34all3lr said:
I think we have two conversations going on here :?

I have some nice silver wheels, Mavic / Shimano DX, and I am thinking 1990/91 DX running gear, although there is a really nice black XT crankset in the for sale section at present.

I may go Ritchey, but as I have just finished the CATS in a mainly Ritchey theme, it might be nice to do something else this time, not really sure what yet.

I remember my original had Continental Cross Country tyres, and sti shifters, more than that I really don't remember, it was 20 plus years ago.

I'm open to suggestions, although I don't think a really high spec build will suit.

Why don't you go full DX including the sti shifters, black Kalloy seatpost, try and find a Reynolds handlebar, turbo saddle and the conti tyres? It would look very cool but not be too high spec...

Giom6":1m5ilspk said:
Why don't you go full DX including the sti shifters, black Kalloy seatpost, try and find a Reynolds handlebar, turbo saddle and the conti tyres? It would look very cool but not be too high spec...

Sounds good, I might just do that. ;)

Anyone got a top pull 31.8 DX front mech they want to part with?

Good man, you know it makes sense ;)

I've got a NOS pair of DX STI shifters if you struggle to find any.

Neil - love these old Dawes bikes - they got great reviews BITD.

Giom6":19nveagy said:

Definitely agree with this build spec :cool:

drcarlos":19nveagy said:
Sorry, lumped 501 and 500 in with the older tubes, can only find info on 531 upwards not being suitable for tiging. Probably due to the heat treatment. Carl

531 Magnum was able to be tig welded (my Nigel Dean is).

Thanks guys, the remaining questions are; thumbies, STI or gripshift? And, DX or XT canti's?

Gio; some bits are easy and cheap, but an original Kalloy Uno seatpost and worse, a matching stem, now they will be the challenge.

I've got a Kalloy post but its not NOS. have a look at the for sale link in my signature and see if it's any good for you.

Latest posts

Back