We made the move from London to Wales (and new Spooky)

Brilliant london sucks ass, i am sat in a sweltering film studio with no air con unable to get out and ride until i get home. Luckily I live in the posh chilterns :) where the only hazzard is the bloody mums in massive white 4X4s lol

Well done

All this London sucks is all very subjective.

I love London, more than any other place on earth, and I have been to a few!

We decided a long time ago to live away and visit the city. That is the balance that works for us.

Welcome to God's country.
Wonderful views you have there. I've mountains around me but nothing as picturesque as that.

highlandsflyer":3m8a2z7g said:
All this London sucks is all very subjective.

I love London, more than any other place on earth, and I have been to a few!

We decided a long time ago to live away and visit the city. That is the balance that works for us.

Not just London. Pretty much all cities are unpleasant what with the noise, traffic and general insularity.

When i was young London was great. Now I live somewhere we all help each other out and have a real sense of community. I knew maybe my immediate neighbour in London and that was it.

But pretty much everything on here is subjective?

Thanks for all the replies and especially the welcomes. We love it here and I can't see that that will wear off. We know it will rain (heavily and for long periods) - but we will sit in our inglenook fireplace and wait for our spring to replenish itself. Oh sod, I've developed terminal smugness. The first week here we didn't see the sun and were lighting the fires at 4pm each day, drinking hot chocolate whilst wrapped in blankets - wondering whether we would ever be warm again.

This wasn't meant to be an anti-London thing, although I would say for sure that we were ready to get out of the city. Having lived in London for nearly 20 years I think that the character of the place has changed and, without wanting to sound like a reactionary, I would say not for the better. I don't know whether it was just that my resilience had ebbed, but I was finding that it was generally a much more aggressive place and that people seemed to be on shorter fuses than in former days. I'm making no political point but there are a million more people living in London than there were ten years ago and the gap between the haves and the havenots has increased. The miracle of the place is that it all works so well so much of the time. It is a wonderful city but I will be very happy to enjoy it as a visitor from now on.

We have a builder coming round tonight to quote for building me a new workshop behind the house, so hopefully I can get on with my wood-bothering soon.

As to nasty locals, I've had a few lock-ins at the Goat in Bala and found people very hospitable. Frankly, having contended with some of South London's most frightening sorts I'm not too worried. The only nasty person we met recently here was a grumpy English local who likes to lock the gates on the bridleways that cross his land.

I'll keep you posted on progress. If anyone is in the area and fancies a ride then please drop me a PM.

Rich

Glad you have met friendly locals, i'm guessing with a name like ' wynne ' you have some welsh history ?

Funny you should mention, angry englishmen and bridle ways.......i used to work with someone in a bike shop who had traveled many places on their bike, yet they refused to accept that it was ok for cyclist to cross a bridleway that passed near their house in the welsh country side !

But I defy you to deal with the old lady that tries to charge you 50p if you go on the back road ( it's a public road) round tal y llyn lake ;)

Have you been to R.H Roberts Cycles in Bala yet, think it's been going since 1850 or something, sure it's still in the family !

You've made the great escape! I've been tempted but won't find a job anywhere else, bloody disabled people y'see! ;)

Keep posting photos, fabulous area, very envious.

Your place and the surrounding countryside look stunning :D

Back