Help i need a modern road bike

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi everyone :p

I am looking to buy an entry level bike for commuting to work, probably through the cycle to work scheme (£300 -£400) , sadly the old Raleigh Clubman has been eaten by the dreaded tin worm over the winter :(

The thing is I have a dilemma I did ask the Wife her thoughts but the glazed look said it all :)

Do I spend some money on getting the frame restored, it needs some modern wheels too so this would be almost as much as a new bike.

Buy a new bike along the lines of Scott/Giant etc, I do like the look of the C Butler Criterion

Or buy a 2nd hand bike of better quality

:cry:

:? :?

I have a lemond tourmalet - modern bike (sti's etc) but has the paint job of something a little older - I don't really like the modern paint jobs, clever though they are.

You do see them second hand on the dreaded bay (bought mine second hand from LBS)

Otherwise, have you had a look at the tifosi frames/bikes? They have the same type of old school paint job, so look nice (to my eyes at least). Other advantage is that with either option they are not very recognisable brands - something that appeals to me...

ktuludays":nublbebc said:
i hate the look of most modern bikes so i would buy good 2nd hand if it was me.

I agree, they all seem to have huge writing on them, especially on the wheels and tyres :?

Any suggestions what should go on the shortlist - my only prerequisite is for it to last. Spec not too important.

Definitely buy the second hand bike even if it is a fairly new one because your dollar will go further. Just like cars bikes lose much of their value once removed from the showroom floor.

please explain the rules of the 'cycle to work scheme'
do they give you a percentage of the cost ?
could you sell the bike soon afterward's ?
is it purely restricted to brand new items ?
could i cycle the 10metres

to my works van ?
or is it purely for the non self employed ?

i'm sure they are good value.
my own view is there's quite enough of them out there.
as well as giant and trek .
when i see a good quality steely or even a retro carbon or a titanium
my heart does gladden . i am a hippocrit for saying that because i have a trek alloy bike
but it does have a horizontal top tube.

oonaff":3aeyzxwp said:
please explain the rules of the 'cycle to work scheme'
do they give you a percentage of the cost ?
could you sell the bike soon afterward's ?
is it purely restricted to brand new items ?
could i cycle the 10metres

to my works van ?
or is it purely for the non self employed ?
In a nutshell, your 'company' has to sign up to the scheme, they will agree to buy a bike on your behalf payable through a salary sacrifice. so effectively the limit financially is 1k purchase value, eg a 1 grand bike or a 600 quid bike and 400 quids worh of 'suitable accesories' (full face dh helmets or skin suits are not what would be called appropriate for commuting).
now, pay attention at the back, your company now 'owns the bike' they are going to lease it to you with the option of you buying the ownership after a year. you will pay this lease via a reduction in earnings before tax so you will pay x amount a month BEFORE you pay any income tax for 11 months, now this is where the savings come in because it is tax free, depending on the final value fee you could pay as little as 60% of the purchase bike. good eh? well... it used to be as before the rule changes the company used to have the 12th month payments as the final value fee (the cost it takes for you to buy the bike from the company) meaning that the bike was very cheap but they changed things and now the company has to attach a realistic final value fee rather than a nominal one so the bike is still cheaper (your effectively getting an interest free loan) b ut not as cheap as it used to be.
thats the finances.
the rules
the bike has to be suitable for commuting which pretty much excludes bmx, time trial, dh rigs ect. it has to form the 'main' part of your commute. :roll:
you DO NOT own the bike, it belongs to your employer so you cant flog it on until you have finished paying for it.
that's pretty much all i know, hope it helps.
oh and if your self employed its largely irrelevant because you still have to fork out in the first instance and then pay yourself back in salary installments!

Back