Cotic Soul 2010 - repaint options?

Cotic decals - ordered yesterday
Custom pewter Cotic headbadge - in discussion with Geoff Moorhouse
853 decals - ordered yesterday

I also spoke to Argos, who confirmed that their lead time in 5-6 weeks at the moment. The colour options for their 2-pack finish is white, black, orange, two greens and a grey. Based on the above pics, white is still my favourite.

Given the amazing weather, I'm going to wait another week or two before stripping the frame and taking it to Argos (I live in Bristol).

I also spoke to Argos, who confirmed that their lead time in 5-6 weeks at the moment. The colour options for their 2-pack finish is white, black, orange, two greens and a grey. Based on the above pics, white is still my favourite.

If you're having a fancy paintwork, perhaps two tone, fades etc. I can understand choosing a wet paint, but if you're just having it plain white, you may as well have it powder coated, it'll be a lot cheaper than Argos and a tougher finish as well. I believe Cotic frames are originally powder coated too.

Here's a picture of Rob's frame, (hope you don't mind Rob) powder coated at LSN, the same place I had my frame done. The solid colour shows the surface finish more than the pale metallic I chose:

null_zps0b269784.jpg

Also, bear in mind, that white is probably the most forgiving colour, with regards to finish. Dark colours show every little surface blemish, but because reflections are essentially white, light colours can mask minor imperfections quite well.

Ok - that's helpful food for thought.

What I'm most nervous about with a powder coat is the process of applying decals and the finish. Will powder coaters do this? If not, what's the best way of getting the "factory" decals applied / lacquered?

Thanks. :)

Are the original decals lacquered over? If not, they will just be vinyl cut stickers, same as the stuff you use for vehicle livery. Cotic may supply replacements, might be worth asking them.

OK, not sure what to suggest if you really want the decals under lacquer, I left my frame plain - I didn't know what it was anyway. :D

Anyone else?

xerxes":2rcp86gm said:
OK, not sure what to suggest if you really want the decals under lacquer, I left my frame plain - I didn't know what it was anyway. :D

Anyone else?

Get the frame powder coated, the heat will not affect the steel, you would need temperatures in excess of 800 degrees Celsius to alter the tensile, tempering properties,. Give the powder coating it light flat with 2000 wet and dry to remove any imperfections, clean with solvent based cleaner, apply the decals, then get someone to apply a coat of 2k clear coat (medium soild) job done and it will last for years, if you match the colour of the powder coating it can be touched up with 2k high soild paint, this would need to be mixed by a local bodyshop as they can mix you a small amount to keep the cost down, you would also need a drop of 2k activator, you can also flat the 2k paint once cured and polish it with compound, then you will hardly be able to see where the stone chip was

Have a look at some of the bikes I have refinished on my website

Pm me if you need any advice :D

Update:

Over the last few weeks I've now received decals from Cotic, Reynolds and DT Swiss...:

IMG_3082.jpg

...and a custom head badge from Geoff Moorhouse (on the right):

IMG_3084.jpg

The head badge doesn't come out well in the photos. It's a new, smaller version of Geoff's existing cast - he told me that feedback was that the original was too big, so I sent him the exact measurements of the factory Cotic version.

I'm still waiting for bad weather or a lull in my riding before sending the frame off. Argos is still my favoured option as I've not yet found a powder-coater who would apply and lacquer the decals, but I will carry on looking.

After deliberating and taking all the helpful comments into account, I took the frame down to Argos this morning and agreed a two-pack finish in white with lacquered-over decals.

I know that a powder coat would have been cheaper, but local powder coat options didn't look overly promising - and my previous positive experience of Argos sealed it for me.

It's due back with me in around 3 weeks' time, so I'll update this thread when it's back.

Back