Headset quandry

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello folks!

I am currently in the throws of rebuilding a 1990 Muddy Fox Courier Comp (see sig) and upon reuniting the forks with the frame, having thouroughly cleaned and greased what I suspected was a mullered headset, I can confirm that the headset is indeed fubar'd. Very gritty indeed. So a new 1" threaded headet is needed. I measure a 37-38mm stack and have seen this one on CRC:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39820

My question is, will this be suitable for me? There is no mention of a stack heigh but it largely looks identical to what is on the bike already. Does anyone have one that they can measure the stack for me, pretty please!

Dan

Nice headset (may be able to alter the stack height slightly if your washer is thinner than the Ritchey one?), and nice bike...:cool:

I bought one of those Ritcheys for my Raleigh Team, it was indeed about 5mm lower stack than the original Tange (which is what would have been fitted to the MF too) and consequently wouldn't tighten. I added a silver 1" ahead spacer and that worked a treat, also looks smart too IMO.

Carl.

Thanks for the comments, very reassuring. I will keep the current spacer to add to the stack, though the steerer comes up a little short on the locknut anyway so should be fine. And thanks for the info Danson, didnt think to check sheldon for that kind of info!

Best get shopping then, will start to get some more pics up soon Steve!

Back