Top Gear Is Just Like Cheers!

highlandsflyer":2r1g8l7g said:
Is anyone really so cross about it though? Is it not just a case of expressing an opinion?

Your probably right, I'm assuming people are more cross about it than they are :D

Alison

highlandsflyer":24ixlk4p said:
technodup":24ixlk4p said:
it's pish but I still watch it. Sunday's was awful.

More or less how I feel.

See, this is what I dont understand.
You dont like it, but still watch it?

I dont like Loose Women (of the hatefull daytime tv variety, obviously... :LOL: ), but would never dream about watching it, let alone spending time complaining or even just commenting about it on a forum for cyclists... just doesnt seem to make any sense to me......

Still, each to their own I suppose.... if thats how people want to spend their time

G

unkleGsif":2b5swza3 said:
highlandsflyer":2b5swza3 said:
technodup":2b5swza3 said:

More or less how I feel.

I dont like Loose Women (of the hatefull daytime tv variety, obviously... :LOL: ), but would never dream about watching it, let alone spending time complaining or even just commenting about it on a forum for cyclists... just doesnt seem to make any sense to me......

Still, each to their own I suppose.... if thats how people want to spend their time

G

I think there's a difference, though - some people, myself - quite possibly you, would never enjoy something like Loose Women or other daytime TV programmes.

Whereas some, at least, didn't always hate Top Gear - in fact I don't hate it now - I used to enjoy it, and yes, post reboot. If I truly dislike anything, now, it's the cynical, pretend, controversial or edgy attempts at humour - not the daftness, or irreverence, or adolescent enjoyment of all things automobile.

For some it will be the decline - not that they've always hated it, or were never going to like it. There is a difference. That now it seems a game of brinkmanship in pandering to their demographic - which in tern, they probably have nothing but distaste for - and the need to ever up the ante in almost pantomime-esque bad-guy-ism, that has become too apparent, too much showing of the wires, and too revealing of that backdrop behind the facade, for me.

Whereas rewinding a few years, to a bit before they totally sold themselves on their own hype, and there's still quite a lot of the programmes from years gone by, I can still enjoy. Fortunately, there's no end of repeats of older episodes, so it's not all bad.

unkleGsif":1v8zaa10 said:
highlandsflyer":1v8zaa10 said:
technodup":1v8zaa10 said:

More or less how I feel.

G

I don't watch Boris Johnson's Mayoral briefings, but tell me why I shouldn't have a word to say on him as part of our culture?

You don't like Loose Women? How do you know that?

I made it fairly clear I don't choose to watch Top Gear these days. The level of quasi inadvertent exposure I have to it lends enough of an idea to pass comment on it. Even to write about it in the 'general and off topic' section of a cycling forum.

Is it any more a waste of time than discussing NOS bike parts?

One of my consistent complaints about the show is that they don't feature bicycles more.

Haven't you ever stated a dislike for something in life that was not a life and death issue for you? Do you need to eat chocolate to state a dislike for it? Must we go through life avoiding all avoidable unpleasantness without remarking upon it?

Do we really have to like things to talk about them?

That rather defeats the idea of objective criticism, which for some of us is at least as important as fawning sycophancy.

Baaa baaa!

Back