Has anyone used these SunRace thumbshifters ?

paddy311

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm considering trying a set of these SunRace 9 speed index r/h and friction l/h shifters.

sunrace-r90-slr-r9-thumbie-thumb-shifters-3575-p.jpg

Has anyone tried these with Shimano mechs ? What did you use and how did you get on.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/sun ... 3575-p.asp

Any views appreciated. :)

I think that price is each, but they are available cheaper on ebay for a pair.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190867238187? ... 1423.l2648

I just used the link from that site because it has a bit of a description.

I'm considering trying a pair of these for a fresh build I'm collecting bits for. I was thinking I'd strip them completely and re-detail them properly 'cos they look cheaply finished. But if they don't work well with shimano mechs then I'll forget the idea.

I also have another vague idea - trying to use the SunRace mount brackets to adapt to ultegra shifters a-la- pauls thumbies.......... maybe.

I could of course, just use a 7 speed cassette with a spacer on my new hub, and use the XT thumbies I already have. Too easy though. If the hub takes a 9 speed then I want to try it out :mrgreen:

edit: beat me to it with the cheaper ones on ebay, fun_fishy_fish :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nope, but the bike co-op I work/ed at used one on a showcase bike for a local bike+coffee shop. Seemed to work OK, and build quality is good.

Joe of Loath":3ui1cuxr said:
Nope, but the bike co-op I work/ed at used one on a showcase bike for a local bike+coffee shop. Seemed to work OK, and build quality is good.

Cheers.
Can you remember if the overall finish on them was OK or were they a bit cheap looking ? Lumpy plating, nasty powdercoat etc ?

I have a left hand friction one and it's nicely made and finished, I'd say it's easily on a par with 90s Deore shifters.

Why not try to mod a retro one to work with 9 speed. I read you could modify or replace the index ring which is essentially a circle of metal with indents to create the index notch/click.

Back