Fuquay

stu":1vp6yh5d said:
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.....mine is hanging up in the shed as a frameset at the moment awaiting it's makeover....

Stu

You obviously like to ponder over your builds and consider carefully before commencing work.

I have managed six mtbs and two roadbikes since I picked up the Diabolo. :facepalm:

Mines currently residing in the garage roof as a frameset, not sure how to build it back up. Btw where can you get frame saver from, as mine could do with a coating inside.

S'done!

After a few delays while waiting for bits, then fitting bits, then waiting for the correct bits as the bits I was hoping would do the job wouldn't, we are finally ready to rock'n'roll.

Spec:

Frame: 1994 Fuquay

Fork: Pace RC36

Headset: Hope Ahead 1 1/8”
Stem: Ritchey Force
Handlebar: USE Atom carbon
Grips: Sachs
Barends: X-Lite stubbies

Brakes: Avid SD7
Brake Pads: Avid
Brake Cables: LBS stainless
Brake Levers: Avid SD 2.0

Shifters: SRAM X0 3 x 9
Front Derailleur: SRAM X9 3 x 9
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 3 x 9
Derailleur Cables: LBS stainless
Cassette: SRAM PG 970
Chain: Wipperman 9 speed
Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Crank Bolts: Stronglight self extracting
Chainrings: Stronglight 44 32 22
Chainring bolts: Stronglight stainless
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Time ATAC

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Mavic XC717
Hubs: Hope
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: DT Swiss double butted black
Tyres: Panaracer Trailrakers
Tubes: Planet X

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: USE 25mm with shim
Seatpost Binder: Hope 28.6

DSC_0551_zpsb9d43864.jpg

DSC_0557_zps409c39f1.jpg

DSC_0552_zpsb285f58b.jpg

First proper ride will be later this week, as tonight we are shaking down my son's newly built 29'er. :shock:

A quick flick round the block (in stupid degrees heat) tells me it is stiff, climbs, is flicky and light. :mrgreen:

You're churning them out now Neil. I think you're going to need to get a bigger garage :D

Love the way you've matched the seat post colour, very neat! Also I'm not normally a fan of Blackwell tyres but they look really cool on the Fuquay, must be the blue/black fade paint work.

What's next on your list? :)

NeilM":vtdhp1by said:
stu":vtdhp1by said:
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.....mine is hanging up in the shed as a frameset at the moment awaiting it's makeover....

Stu

You obviously like to ponder over your builds and consider carefully before commencing work.

I have managed six mtbs and two roadbikes since I picked up the Diabolo. :facepalm:

So how many is that that you have not inc 'family' bikes? :facepalm:

Giom6":vnfs66ef said:
What's next on your list? :)
The Caygill is next. I'm just waiting for a(nother) bottom bracket and also some XT canti's, then we should be in business.

Just got back from my ten mile on/offroad test circuit, and as the last time I rode this was on Ringo's CATSWISKAS, I am able to do a pretty direct comparison... which is nice.

Fleet of foot (or tyre) is the best way to describe the Fuquay and very similar in every respect to the CATS. So given that they are both 94 frames, both wearing RC36 forks, both equipped with 3 x 9 gears and V brakes, I think it's fair to say there is not so much as a fag paper between them. The steering on both is light and quick without being twitchy and stability wise I fancy the Fuquay just has the edge, with the CATS being just that little bit more sensitive to steering input. Climbing wise, they are both mountain goats, and the long slog into the woods on the rocky hardpack was equally as unpleasant on both, although I was pulling slightly higher gearing on the Fuquay.

On the singletrack gravel, they are both very quick and sure footed and on the fast rocky / hardpack they are both fast and yet compliant, with a noticeably easier ride than my Yates 853 (no great surprise there). On this section, I fancy the CATS is just that little bit more aggressive / faster and I certainly carried more speed into the latter stages of the climb, but some of that may be down to the heat today and also the fact that I did a similar fast ride last night.

Overall, I am totally chuffed with the Fuquay and I just need to get the gears to settle down, and sort out the horrendous SQEEEEEEEK coming from the front brake (old pads, new rims).

Fuq the trails, let's go exploring.

I took the Fuquay up to the woods for a good bash around tonight.

After taking the other long rocky climb up to the golf course, I decided to explore a lot of the cheeky trails in the woods tonight. I did belt along a couple of the bridleways, as that was the quickest route from one side of the woods to the other, but for the most part it was very single single track, and what a great little explorer this bike is, and an easy smooth climber too, making quick work of pretty much anything. Yummy.

The down side? Brambles! Both my arms are now covered in gouges and scratches, as a lot of these trails are almost never used, more's the pity. Still, it was worth it just for the fun.

Top of the climb.
DSCN0330_zpsa52e30ef.jpg

In the woods.
DSCN0333_zps51000cc2.jpg

A forest Motorway... I have ridden this flat out on both bike and horse. :mrgreen:
DSCN0334_zps03b92ce6.jpg

Out of focus picture of my left arm.
DSCN0337_zps5a970873.jpg

Back